observe_field and IE 8

I want to blame IE 8 because I designed with FF and did not see any issue but IE 8 definitely is a problem.

To simplify a fairly complex page...

LAYOUT.HTML.ERB <div id="container"> <% yield %>

LIST.HTML.ERB <div id="content_area">   <%= options = [[@menu_topic, '']] + ApplicationHelper::CONTENT_TYPE            select("menu", "topic", options) %> </div> <%= observe_field("menu_topic",     :frequency => 1,     :update => 'content_area', **OR** :update=>'container'     :with => 'menu_topic',     :url => {:action => 'list'}) %>

The intent is to change what is displayed in the list view mode by selecting a 'topic' from the collection list.

With ':update => 'container' FF worked perfectly but IE 8 first updates like FF, then it changes the selection list to 'null' and continually cycles and sends 'null' to the observer and it's a mess.

With ':update => 'content_area' FF loads a second list view inside the original list view and that clearly isn't workable.

I suspect that my issue is that I don't thoroughly understand what 'observe_field' is capable of doing or not doing but previous usage seemed fairly straight forward but that was rails 1.2.6 and perhaps I never tested with IE before.

What is the best way to handle this for all browsers?

Craig

I want to blame IE 8 because I designed with FF and did not see any issue but IE 8 definitely is a problem.

To simplify a fairly complex page...

LAYOUT.HTML.ERB <div id="container"> <% yield %>

LIST.HTML.ERB <div id="content_area">   <%= options = [[@menu_topic, '']] + ApplicationHelper::CONTENT_TYPE            select("menu", "topic", options) %> </div> <%= observe_field("menu_topic",     :frequency => 1,     :update => 'content_area', **OR** :update=>'container'     :with => 'menu_topic',     :url => {:action => 'list'}) %>

The intent is to change what is displayed in the list view mode by selecting a 'topic' from the collection list.

With ':update => 'container' FF worked perfectly but IE 8 first updates like FF, then it changes the selection list to 'null' and continually cycles and sends 'null' to the observer and it's a mess.

With ':update => 'content_area' FF loads a second list view inside the original list view and that clearly isn't workable.

I suspect that my issue is that I don't thoroughly understand what 'observe_field' is capable of doing or not doing but previous usage seemed fairly straight forward but that was rails 1.2.6 and perhaps I never tested with IE before.

What is the best way to handle this for all browsers?