Not quite a rails question but can anyone advise?

Hey guys!

I'm having a little trouble trying to integrate RMagick with my rails app.

In the online terminal (on my host's server) if I write:

export "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" before opening the rails console then I can require "RMagick" no problem.

Without adding usr/local/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH I get the error message described here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html#loaderror

My question is - where can I edit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make this change permanent - at the moment it only works as long as I'm using the online terminal window?

Thanks

Gavin

added

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to my .bash_profile file

Seems to have done the trick.

:slight_smile:

Gavin Morrice wrote:

added

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to my .bash_profile file

Seems to have done the trick.

I'd revisit that if I were you. In the final deployment, you are likely going to run the server as someone other than you. And, the .profile is not always pulled in either.

Before the require, I'd try putting:

ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']="/usr/local/lib:#{ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']}

Perhaps put it in environment.rb

That is why I have put it into my /etc/bash.bashrc file since it is common to all users.

Perry - didn't realize I could set the environment variable in my app like that

That's a great help - thanks

-:slight_smile:

Actually - scrap that

I just tried adding ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']="/usr/local/lib:#{ENV ['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']}" to the environment.rb file

This doesn't seem to work

I also added puts ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH'] to see if it recognised LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This returned nil

Any ideas on how I can access this from the environment.rb file?

Also, could you please explain why adding the path to .bash_profile is not best practice? This seems to do the trick, at least through the console.

Thanks

Gavin Morrice wrote:

Actually - scrap that

I just tried adding ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']="/usr/local/lib:#{ENV ['LD_LIBRARY_PATH']}" to the environment.rb file

This doesn't seem to work

I also added puts ENV['LD_LIBRARY_PATH'] to see if it recognised LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I think that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not loaded by the application itself, but by it's loader (part of the operating system). Setting this variable when the application is already started doesn't work. The loader should be instructed to load certain libs which (afaik) can only be done by setting the variable before you start the app. This can be done by setting it from a .bashrc or .profile (depending on your shell). Note that these scripts are only used when starting a login shell. A better way would be to create a shell script that loads the libs first and then starts your server.

Any ideas on how I can access this from the environment.rb file?

Also, could you please explain why adding the path to .bash_profile is not best practice? This seems to do the trick, at least through the console.

If it works, it works :slight_smile: But if you deploy it under a different user, it breaks. E.g. if you deploy it with phusion passenger and apache, the user that runs apache should have the path set. You could set this globally in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Perry Smith wrote:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH may not be resampled each time a library is loaded. I'm not sure. The loader uses it but it gets it from the processes environment. The question is when.

I read some articles about this and ld.so (normally linked by libc.so) calls_dl_init_paths() when it's initializing. After this, there are no more calls to this function. The input is drawn from the environment and /etc/ld.so.conf. There's not a lot to do about this, other than setting it before. In the question above, I think it shouldn't be a problem to include /usr/local/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf (you need root access of course).

Another dirty hack might be to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then fork. The new process should load the newly set path, but I'm not sure if you want to fork a complete rails stack (I've done it in the past, but doesn't feel very right).

Thanks wouter -

I get the feeling that adding it to the ld.so.conf path is the best way to go.

... I'm just having trouble finding the thing!!!

I'm running on a shared host.

On my account I have a folder named "etc" but there's no "ld.so.conf" in it (I've checked the hidden files)

When I try "locate ld.so.conf" in the shell though, it returns

/etc/ld.so.conf /etc/ld/so.conf.d

Any idea how I can access ld.so.conf and add the path to it?

Thanks

PS - although adding the path to .bash_profile works in the shell, it doesn't work when I start up my app using the facilities provided by my host

-is that normal?

Gavin Morrice wrote:

PS - although adding the path to .bash_profile works in the shell, it doesn't work when I start up my app using the facilities provided by my host

-is that normal?

That's the kind of thing I was worried about. I would ask your hosting site how to set the load path.

I've been emailing them all night

Their offshore technical support team don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about....

this is gonna be a long night!

Thanks for the help anyway guys :S

Okay - my hosting site have replied saying I should set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the .bash_profile file.

As I explained earlier, this works fine when I'm in the console or when I start rails manually from the remote shell

When I try to use their designated pane to start the app though, I get the following error in my mongrel.log:

** Daemonized, any open files are closed. Look at log/mongrel.pid and log/mongrel.log for info. ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:12008 ** Starting Rails with development environment... /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.9.1/lib/RMagick2.so: libMagickCore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.9.1/lib/RMagick2.so (LoadError)   from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in `require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in `require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.9.1/lib/RMagick.rb:11   from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in `require'   from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'

... etc

Anybody have any idea why this is?

Are there any other startup files I could try adding this to?

Ta

Gavin

Gavin Morrice wrote:

libMagickCore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.9.1/lib/RMagick2.so (LoadError)

Anybody have any idea why this is?

I bet if you look under a similar path except add in local you will find the library you are trying to load.

The .bash_profile isn't going to work and I'm disappointed they suggested it.

One idea I had is to send them the error that you just pasted. They should already have local/lib in the load path. Its just a matter of finding someone who cares and is competent. Why have the RMagic code on the system except for people to use. They must not know that people can't use it.

Are there any other startup files I could try adding this to?

I don't know if this is going to work but poke around the site looking for how and where to put an .htaccess file and then see if you can add to the environment using Apache's mod_env facility. This might happen happen before Mongrel or Rails is launched.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_env.html

Good luck

Hey Perry

Managed to sort this out.

The solution was to add a symlink to "libMagickCore.so.1" in "/usr/ lib".

Thanks a lot for your help