Newbie - submit_tag with link?

Hello!

I have a systemwide search field with a submit button (submit_tag). Like so:

<%= submit_tag "Search" %>

I wonder if there is a way to link to a chosen path when the user presses the submit button, in my case to the root_path. Or should i use something else instead of 'submit_tag'?

I have another question on a similar topic, in my search field I have a default text value (:value => "Search on..."), is there an easy Rails way to clear the default value when the user activates the field, or should I use some Javascript?

Examples or links would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

// Anders

The link that a form submits to is set in the form tag itself, not the button. Here's what I mean:

<% form_tag documents_path, :method => 'get' do %> <div id="search">   <%= link_to("Show All") if params[:q] %>   <%= text_field_tag :q, params[:q] %>   <%= submit_tag "Search", :name => nil, :id => 'search_submit' %> </div> <% end %>

Walter

Thanks a lot! That worked.

Do you have any tips on my second question?

Anders

Here's a page that explains how to do this using JavaScript within the form builder syntax.

http://www.folksonomy.org/2008/12/22/rails-auto-clearing-input-field/

Note that any element like this will rely on JavaScript on the client to keep from submitting the default value. Be sure to check in your controller for that explicit value and ignore the search event in that case.

Walter

Thanks it worked.