Newbie needs help with controller

Hey there,

I'm super new to RoR. I've been working on an eCommerce project for practice. Currently my website has buyers and sellers. Each seller has personal page.

I'm trying to figure out how to show each seller's listings on their personal page. I don't know what to put in my controller

Here's what I got so far:

def shop   @listings = Listing.where(seller: User.find(params[:id,]))   @user = User.find(params[:id])    end

I hope that I'm making sense.

Hey there,

I'm super new to RoR. I've been working on an eCommerce project for practice. Currently my website has buyers and sellers. Each seller has personal page.

I'm trying to figure out how to show each seller's listings on their personal page. I don't know what to put in my controller

Here's what I got so far:

def shop   @listings = Listing.where(seller: User.find(params[:id,]))   @user = User.find(params[:id])    end

Better to use @user = User.find(params[:id]) @listings = @user.listings

That probably won't work for you at the moment as you may not have set up the associations properly. Also, assuming the user has to logon then you should not be passing the id in the params but should be saving it in the session when the user logs on, in which case you would use @user = current_user

I suggest that you work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online) which will show you the basics of rails. Also study the Rails Guide on ActiveRecord Associations (and the other Rails Guides).

Colin

You're amazing Colin! It worked perfectly! You just made my day!!!!

Colin Law wrote in post #1180547:

Glad to be of help, but please do work through that tutorial. If you missed that bit of the magic of rails then no doubt you have missed other equally useful features that will make your like easier.

Colin