Networked windows development client to linux server????

I am new to rails and linux. I have built an ubuntu rails server at home and have gotten test projects working. I will eventually deploy into a Linux production environment.

I am faster and more comfortable developing on my windows laptop using radrails and I am aware that linux supports this also.

Is there a way to work from windows using Radrails connecting to the mysql database and rails on the ubuntu server so all programming and database building is happening on the ubuntu server from the windows machine again with radrails?

If so, is there anyone who can begin to tell me how I would go about doing this?

I am new to rails and linux. I have built an ubuntu rails server at home and have gotten test projects working. I will eventually deploy into a Linux production environment.

I am faster and more comfortable developing on my windows laptop using radrails and I am aware that linux supports this also.

Is there a way to work from windows using Radrails connecting to the mysql database and rails on the ubuntu server so all programming and database building is happening on the ubuntu server from the windows machine again with radrails?

If so, is there anyone who can begin to tell me how I would go about doing this?

samba will give you file-share access to your linux box...

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/

I've been pretty successful running RadRails on Windows and then using Capistrano to push the project to the Ubuntu server. I run MySQL and Mongrel and my Windows box for development and testing.

Ruby comes with plenty of functions to handle the platform differences, like path building and forking.

You don't really want to attempt to program on files across the network. Visual Studio .Net 2003 did this with ASPX projects. You wouldn't think there would be a big slow down, but you will feel it.

Stephen Gerstacker

[mailto:rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Philip Hallstrom

You don't really want to attempt to program on files across the network. Visual Studio .Net 2003 did this with ASPX projects. You wouldn't think there would be a big slow down, but you will feel it.

Huh? Using samba to connect a windows box to a linux box on a local network has plenty of speed.... if it's colocated somewhere maybe not, but locally it's just fine. Text files aren't that big :slight_smile:

This doesn't answer your question directly. But here is how I'm setup for Windows development but then deploying to a Linux box. It works both for my home Linux server (some testing/staging) and my host.

I use RadRails for my IDE and run everything from Cygwin except MySQL which is under Windows. Here's the installation: http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsonWindowsCygwin

I've made a point of keeping different database.yml files for each host. I have a Capistrano task that copies the correct one: database.yml.host to database.yml. I also keep a sample database.yml in my tree that I allow each developer to tweak as needed for their box.

--dwf