Need translation of sql query to :find equivalent

I have this query, I have tried a few permutations to translate it into envisaged.

heres the core sql: select resulttype from results where id in ( select result_id from outcomes o1 where o1.outcome_date = (select max(o2.outcome_date) from outcomes o2 where o2.testcase_id = o1.testcase_id and o1.testcase_id ='1'));

can you give me a few pointers, does it require a join clause from the results table to the outcomes, or can rails do this easier?

Brad Symons wrote: Try

@result = Resulttypes( :all, :conditions => ['id in ( select result_id from outcomes o1 where o1.outcome_date = (select max(o2.outcome_date) from outcomes o2 where o2.testcase_id = o1.testcase_id and o1.testcase_id =\'1\'))']

This should work, I am doing seomthing similiar only I am say 'NOT IN.'

i cannot get the brackets right, you seem to have more brackets on the ( than on the ), when i mess around with this it just throws all kinds of errors.

here is another query i am trying to write using :find

Result.find(:all, :conditions => 'resulttype = (select resulttype from results where id = 1)')

when i run this with debug

<%= debug Result.find(:all, :conditions => 'resulttype = (select resulttype from results where id = 1)') %>

i get: resulttype = 'pass' id = '1'

but when i remove debuy, i just get ####, adding a h, like this <%= h Result.find(:all, :conditions => 'resulttype = (select resulttype from results where id = 1)') %>

i get #<Result:0x395f080>

can anyone point me to a good source to understand more about the :find, because its quite obscure on the rails reference.

when i run this with debug

<%= debug Result.find(:all, :conditions => 'resulttype = (select resulttype from results where id = 1)') %>

i get: resulttype = 'pass' id = '1'

but when i remove debuy, i just get ####, adding a h, like this <%= h Result.find(:all, :conditions => 'resulttype = (select
resulttype from results where id = 1)') %>

i get #<Result:0x395f080>

<%= %> just calls to_s on the result inside it. The to_s on an array
is just the concatenation of the result of to_s on the elements of the
array, and the default to_s on an AR object is unhelpful. It's up to
you do to something like

<% @some_results.each do |result|    date: <%= result.created_at %>    value: <%= result.value %> ... <% end %>