need some opinions

I have some helper code that I let get out of hand. I have a number of show actions that are routed by 'controller/:permalink' and three show actions that are not. The blog controller's show action gets its page title, meta description, and meta keywords by parsing some json content from another site over which I have limited control. The messages and site_images models have no permalink column. This is what I've written to get all this to work right, but it looks really ugly (and potentially brittle) to me. I'm open to suggestions on how to DRY this up and make it solid. (I'm sticking with 2.3.8 for a while before I tackle 3, so if you could limit your suggestions to Rails 2....)

def page     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif controller_name == 'messages' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif controller_name == 'site_images' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif action_name == 'show'       page = @model_name.find_by_permalink(params[:permalink])     else       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => "#{controller_name}/#{action_name}" }) || StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     end   end

def page_title     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       title = @post.first['title']     else       title = page.title || 'domain.com'     end     %(<title>#{title}</title>)   end

def meta(name, content)     %(<meta name="#{name}" content="#{content}" /> )   end

def meta_description     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       parse_meta_description(@post.first['content'])     else       page.meta_description     end   end

def meta_keywords     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       parse_meta_keywords(@post.first['content'])     else       page.meta_keywords     end   end

Thanks in advance

Preacher wrote:

I have some helper code that I let get out of hand. I have a number of show actions that are routed by 'controller/:permalink' and three show actions that are not. The blog controller's show action gets its page title, meta description, and meta keywords by parsing some json content from another site over which I have limited control. The messages and site_images models have no permalink column. This is what I've written to get all this to work right, but it looks really ugly (and potentially brittle) to me. I'm open to suggestions on how to DRY this up and make it solid. (I'm sticking with 2.3.8 for a while before I tackle 3, so if you could limit your suggestions to Rails 2....)

def page     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif controller_name == 'messages' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif controller_name == 'site_images' and action_name == 'show'       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     elsif action_name == 'show'       page = @model_name.find_by_permalink(params[:permalink])     else       page = StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => "#{controller_name}/#{action_name}" }) || StaticPage.find(:first, :conditions => { :url => 'rescue' })     end   end

Yuck! That should all be handled in your routes file.

def page_title     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       title = @post.first['title']     else       title = page.title || 'domain.com'     end     %(<title>#{title}</title>)   end

I think you've tried to DRY up your helpers past the point of sensibility, and wound up with something so generic that it doesn't make sense.

Also: @post.first ? @post is an array of multiple posts? If so, then its name should be @posts.

def meta(name, content)     %(<meta name="#{name}" content="#{content}" /> )   end

That looks OK -- if you need a helper for this. I'm not sure why you would.

Note also that the /> is only valid if you're using XHTML (which you shouldn't be) or HTML 5. If you're using HTML 4, get rid of the slash and install the html_output plugin.

def meta_description     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       parse_meta_description(@post.first['content'])     else       page.meta_description     end   end

def meta_keywords     if controller_name == 'blog' and action_name == 'show'       parse_meta_keywords(@post.first['content'])     else       page.meta_keywords     end   end

Why not just have these as model methods?

Thanks in advance

Best,

Earlier this year, I started going for HTML 5.

I don't know why, but I have to specify the first @post from the json content I'm parsing even though my query only returns one result.

I hadn't thought of defining the page in the models....hmm time to create a new branch. Thanks for the idea.

[Please quote when replying -- it makes the discussion easier to follow.]

Preacher wrote: [...]

I don't know why, but I have to specify the first @post from the json content I'm parsing even though my query only returns one result.

Then you should find out why. Is the JSON returning an array, perchance?

I hadn't thought of defining the page in the models....

What? I have no idea what you're talking about here, and you didn't quote what you were referring to.

hmm time to create a new branch. Thanks for the idea.

I'm not sure I gave you that idea...

Best,