Need some basic help with on-the-run model extension

Hi all

I want to create a method that - when called in a model definition - adds some more methods to this model.

def MyModel < ActiveRecord::Base   add_some_methods # This should add some methods end

So I began with the following code...

def ActiveRecord::Base   private   def self.add_some_methods     # Add some methods...   end end

But now I don't know how I can add those methods in the add_some_method method. Any help is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Several ways:

Hi all

I want to create a method that - when called in a model definition - adds some more methods to this model.

def MyModel < ActiveRecord::Base   add_some_methods # This should add some methods end

So I began with the following code...

class ActiveRecord::Base    private    def self.add_some_methods        # using define method         define_method(:new_meth1) {|arg| #code for method body here}        # using class_eval        class_eval(<<-HERE            def new_meth2(arg)                 # Code for new_meth2           end      HERE    end end

You might want to check out Module#alias_method_chain which is added by ActiveSupport, this is the idiomatic way to add extensions to existing methods. Lets' say you wanted to extend ActiveRecord::Base#find with some new feature called foo. You'd do something like this inside your add_some_methods method

alias_method_chain :find, :foo

and define your extension method as :find_with_foo, you can get at the original find method by calling :find_without_foo since the alias method chain expands to:

alias_method :find_without_foo, :find      alias_method :find, :find_with_foo

Ah yeah, and by the way: how can I determine the actual model's class name in the add_some_methods method?

Just invoke the Module#name method in your class method, either with self or no receiver.