Need high level design help

Hi All,

My requirement is as follows,

1. Each company (have their own set of users and authentication). Expect around 3000 user for each company.

2. Each user should be able to view their companies private pages and the public pages of other companies

3. Then I have some set of public pages which can be viewed by every user without any authentication

I have developed the following,

1. Several static pages (which all public can view without authentication). This is done with few controllers, menu, sub-menus, blueprint css and html. ( with ror as the framework ).

2. A login system, for each user it has login id, company id and password. I am using MySQL as DB.

a. The user is unique only along with the company id.

1. Profile page can be edited by the user.

Want to enhance this system to meet my requirements.

I have following questions also,

1. Should I have a separate DB for each company in the name of company id.

2. Should I have a separate subdomain (company id) and controller (company id) for each company.

3. Is it possible for each company to have their own website and for particular services point to the subdomain in my website.

4. If the above is possible, will there be a problem if website uses php, java, etc.

I have only 2 months of experience in web development and ror, so please be elaborate in your replies.

Thank you very much.

Warm Regards,

Bhasker.

Hi All,

1. Each company (have their own set of users and authentication). Expect around 3000 user for each company.
  1. Each user should be able to view their companies private pages and the public pages of other companies
  1. Then I have some set of public pages which can be viewed by every user without any authentication

1. Several static pages (which all public can view without authentication). This is done with few controllers, menu, sub-menus, blueprint css and html. ( with ror as the framework ).
  1. A login system, for each user it has login id, company id and password. I am using MySQL as DB.

I wouldn’t bother.

1. Should I have a separate subdomain (company id) and controller (company id) for each company.

A separate subdomain seems like something companies would like to have. That doesn’t require a different controller though.

1. Is it possible for each company to have their own website and for particular services point to the subdomain in my website.
  1. If the above is possible, will there be a problem if website uses php, java, etc.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. Obviously they can have their own website written in whatever they want that links to their part of your website. The complication will be in the level of integration. For example if their website is just a set of public pages and you are hosting some service for them then that should be easy, but if their website also has a logged in area then they’d probably want single signon and all that sort of stuff

Fred

Hi All,

1. Each user should be able to view their companies private pages and the public pages of other companies
  1. Then I have some set of public pages which can be viewed by every user without any authentication

1. A login system, for each user it has login id, company id and password. I am using MySQL as DB.

I wouldn’t bother.

1. Should I have a separate subdomain (company id) and controller (company id) for each company.

A separate subdomain seems like something companies would like to have. That doesn’t require a different controller though.

1. Is it possible for each company to have their own website and for particular services point to the subdomain in my website.
  1. If the above is possible, will there be a problem if website uses php, java, etc.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. Obviously they can have their own website written in whatever they want that links to their part of your website. The complication will be in the level of integration. For example if their website is just a set of public pages and you are hosting some service for them then that should be easy, but if their website also has a logged in area then they’d probably want single signon and all that sort of stuff

Fred

Hi Fred,

Currently, I use If signed_in ? to display navigation tabs / menus appropriately.

But when I have lots of companies with different menus, it will be a nightmare to mantain this kind of code. Do you have a better idea / suggestion ?

Thank you, Bhasker.