Need help with accessing MS SQL Server from Mac OS X

I am trying to get access to a Microsoft SQL Server 2k installation on my network. To this point I'm not having any luck.

I've followed the instructions at http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoConnectToMicrosoftSQLServerFromRailsOnOSX up to the point where you run the iodbctest where I get an error. The errors are:

iODBC Demonstration program This program shows an interactive SQL processor Driver Manager: 03.52.0001.0928 1: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified. Driver could not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM002 1: ODBC_Connect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified. Driver could not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM002

I found that the help, at the link above, specifies to edit two files (odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini) in the /Library/ODBC folder. This folder does not exist on my system. I created it manually. Perhaps that is the problem.

The only program I've installed is FreeTDS v.64. Running tsql -C gives me the following: Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script):                            Version: freetds v0.64     MS db-lib source compatibility: no        Sybase binary compatibility: unknown                      Thread safety: yes                      iconv library: yes                        TDS version: 8.0                              iODBC: yes                           unixodbc: no

Interestingly enough, it previusly stated TD version: 5.0. I read the FreeTDS install help and found you can provide the ./configure script a set default version to use; I set it to 8.0.

Any ideas?