Need help viewing my first App

Hi All,    I am new to ROR and I am experiencing a few problems viewing my first app. Can anyone pls help me to get my first app up and running?

I created a rails application called my_app. I created a controller called hello.

It looks something like this. class HelloController < ApplicationController

def display end

end

When I type http://localhost:3000/hello/display it says "we are sorry but something went wrong" message. I know it is looking for a view and when I created a view called display.rhtml with text "welcome on board" without any html tags and reloaded the browser window instead of displaying welcome on board in plain text it again is displaying "we are sorry but something went wrong".

can anyone pls let me know where I am going wrong?

Hi All, I am new to ROR and I am experiencing a few problems viewing my first app. Can anyone pls help me to get my first app up and running?

I created a rails application called my_app. I created a controller called hello.

It looks something like this. class HelloController < ApplicationController

def display end

end

When I typehttp://localhost:3000/hello/display it says "we are sorry but something went wrong" message. I know it is looking for a view and when I created a view called display.rhtml with text "welcome on board" without any html tags and reloaded the browser window instead of displaying welcome on board in plain text it again is displaying "we are sorry but something went wrong".

can anyone pls let me know where I am going wrong?

Have a peek inside your app's development.log for a better explanation of what is wrong (I'm guessing its something like that app is set to use an sqlite3 database but you don't have sqlite3 (or its bindings for ruby))

Alpha Blue has been working on a thread that may help you as well:

Sam, did you generate a scaffold, or a stand-alone controller?

When you go to localhost, do you see the generic ruby welcome page? can you click on the configuration link?

doudou wrote:

Sam, did you generate a scaffold, or a stand-alone controller?

When you go to localhost, do you see the generic ruby welcome page? can you click on the configuration link?

Thanks folks....I was following some online tutorial and I ran into some confusing moments...Now that I am following the documentation at rubyonrails.org everything seems to be ok and working now.....

I'll get back if I have any more doubts...

Thanks once again for your inputs..