Naval Marine Corps Internet - rubyonrails.org Blocked

Hello,

Someone suggested I post this question here in the #rubyonrails channel on freenode.

I am curious abotu tracking down why it is that I cannot access rubyonrails.org from work on a machine behind the Navy Marine Corps Internet firewall. It could be that they are blocking it, but this doesn't make sense. So I wanted to verify that the block wasn't on the rubyonrails.org side.

Sourceforge.net is also blocked; I don't know if you guys share filtersets with them...

I would find it particularly interesting if the government is blocking access to open source information as a matter of course.

Thanks,

I don't know the actual reason why but I noticed the block as well. It could very well be coming from NMCI. I can see the sf.net block because they want to control ALL software installed on their machines and probably noticed downloads coming from that site (downloads of software not on their OK list)

The rails blockage could be the same situation, maybe a lot of Navy technologist/contractors were downloading ruby and rails to try it out... if NMCI has not approved of something, they are quick to shut you down. (not sure what they plan on doing about thumb drives though... :slight_smile:

Mike