Name error when trying to include a file

So im trying to use a plugin called open flash chart lazy. Its a chart plugin that renders charts in flash (I think). Heres my controller:

class ChartsController < ApplicationController include OpenFlashChartLazy   layout "default"    before_filter :login_required

def index

workout_calories_array = Array.new    spinclass_calories_array = Array.new

workout_calories.each do |w|        workout_calories_array << [w.created_at.to_date, w.calories_burned]    end    spinclass_calories.each do |sc|        spinclass_calories_array << [sc.created_at.to_date, sc.calories_burned]    end

line_graph = OpenFlashChartLazy::Line.new("Calories")    workout_calories_serie = OpenFlashChartLazy::Serie.new([workout_calories_array],{:title=>"Workouts"})    spinclass_calories_serie = OpenFlashChartLazy::Serie.new([spinclass_calories_array],{:title=>"Spin classes"})

Heres the error from the server:

Processing ApplicationController#index (for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-10-09 21:47:29) [GET]

NameError (uninitialized constant ChartsController::OpenFlashChartLazy):   app/controllers/charts_controller.rb:3

Rendered rescues/_trace (33.4ms) Rendered rescues/_request_and_response (0.4ms) Rendering rescues/layout (internal_server_error)

Thanks, jakx12.

line_graph.add_serie(workout_calories_serie)    line_graph.add_serie(spinclass_calories_serie)    line_graph.x_axis.labels.rotate="vertical"    line_graph.bg_colour="#FFFFFF"    line_graph.x_axis.colour="#808080"    line_graph.x_axis["grid-colour"]="#A0A0A0"    line_graph.x_axis.stroke=0.5

line_graph.y_axis.colour="#808080"    line_graph.y_axis.stroke=0.5    line_graph.y_axis["grid-colour"]="#A0A0A0"    line_graph.to_json

render :text => line_graph.to_graph_json   end

end

So im trying to use a plugin called open flash chart lazy. Its a chart plugin that renders charts in flash (I think). Heres my controller:

Not answering the question I know, but unless you are really keen on flash you might to look at the flot javascript library which works well for me. http://code.google.com/p/flot/

Colin

Do you even know how Ruby work ? Why do you try to include it in your controller ?

Read the documentation first: http://github.com/peterpunk/open_flash_chart_lazy/ http://ofcl.onrails.com.ar/

This error might occur because you installed the plugin wrong, or you might have forgotten to `require' some files.

Robert Pankowecki

Thanks guys, I fixed it, it was todo with how the plugin installed.

Colin, I dont mind what plugin I use aslong as it works well. Are there any quick guides or tutorials you could recommend on flot with rails because I dont mind giving it a go, but I need it working relatively fast.

Thanks.

The flot website has many examples. There is a Rails plugin, flotilla, which makes life fairly easy. I don't know whether it is compatible with Rails 3 if that is an issue for you.

I tried Open Flash Chart (not the lazy version, not sure of the difference) and thought that the architecture is completely wrong. It makes the chart in the controller whereas it should of course be in the view. The controller should just provide the data to be charted and the view should format it and draw it. That is how it works in flotilla.

I found flot to be quicker drawing graphs with many points (though that may not be true on IE as there flot has to use a canvas emulator)

Of course if you are developing a public site you have the major decision of whether to insist the users have flash enabled or javascript enabled.

Colin

Colin Law wrote: