mysql warning

Hi everyone. In development.log one message always appears as WARNING: You’re using the Ruby-based MySQL library that ships with Rails. This library is not suited for production. Please install the C-based MySQL library instead (gem install mysql).

Though I have installed mysql using the command(gem install mysql). Can anyone tell me why it is coming as warning?

Thanks, Nilesh.

Means it isn’t installed properly. On most operating systems, just doing “gem install mysql” won’t work properly anyway, because you need sudo privileges to do it. “sudo gem install mysql” should work better. Also make sure you pick the right version (win-32 if you use windows). In these cases it’s better to mention your operating system in your post, now we can only guess what you are using.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Hi Peter. I am using XP OS and MySql server version is 5.0.41. Ruby’s version: 1.8.6 and Rails version: 2.2.2

From irb, try ‘require mysql’. If you get true, then it should be installed correctly.

BTW, I have the same configuration as well, and I tried Mysql 5.1, and it did not work. I had to go back to 5.0.x

Kaushik