Multiple Form Fields with Same Model?

Catherine .. wrote:

Donnie Jones wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to create a form that will allow a user to submit a list of phone numbers, but the list is dynamically created. Thus allowing my form to submit an unknown number of phone numbers.

Here is some of the code I have been trying:

<%= collection_select( "phone", "phone_type_id",          PhoneType.find(:all, :order => "position"), :id, :description )      %>

( <%= text_field "phone", "area_code", :class => "phones" %> )      <%= text_field "phone", "prefix", :class => "phones" %>      -      <%= text_field "phone", "suffix", :class => "phones" %>      ext. <%= text_field "phone", "extension", :class => "phones" %>

<%= link_to_remote("add",      :update => "phones-list",      :url => { :action => "add_phone" },      :loading => "",      :complete => ""      ) %>

The link_to_remote would use AJAX to insert the fields to add a new phone number, but the issue is that I don't know how to incorporate an id or count field into the fields so controller can tell the diffrence between the fields in the params. I tried using the phones with '' based upon the agile book, first edition, pg 356 and the rails docs at Peak Obsession

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. __ Donnie

The only way I could think about how to do something like this would be to have a table relating users to a phone number, that way they could have as many phone numbers as they wanted. Then as they added a number if would get entered into the list, your method would go out and get the numbers (including the one you just added) and then render a partial inside of a div. Not sure if this helps,

-S

Shandy Nantz wrote:

The only way I could think about how to do something like this would be to have a table relating users to a phone number, that way they could have as many phone numbers as they wanted. Then as they added a number if would get entered into the list, your method would go out and get the numbers (including the one you just added) and then render a partial inside of a div. Not sure if this helps,

-S

Yes that is correct I already have a table relating in my case recipes to ingredients. The problem is I want to save the ingredients (or in the case of the example above the phone numbers) only when the whole form is submitted, hence the need to index each line of the form. The problem here is to find an easy way to index each ilne of the form. (I hope I'm being clear, I'm not english).