Multiple file inputs on the same form

Hey all,

I'm still sorting out some of the basics here, and I still can't quite find an explanation of how the file_data variable (object?) behaves if I'm going to be putting multiple file upload tags on the same page. Can someone give me a quick rundown or point me to a link/previous thread?

Thanks, Jeff

You must give each of them a unique name and then you'll get a param for each of them. Otherwise it won't work.

If you need this for a real world app you may consider using swfupload instead, since it's more comfortable for the user (but more difficult to implement)

In your view:

<label for="files">File </label> <%= file_field_tag 'files' %>

And id suggest putting it in a partial and then getting an ajax link that renders one each time.So assuming, you put the above lines in a partial called _file_form.html.erb then you want something like:

<div id="file_forms"></div>

<%= link_to_remote( "Add another file                    :update => "file_forms",                    :url => { :action => :add_file_form },                    :position => "bottom" ) %>

Which calls a controller method calles add_file_form wich is basically:

def add_file_form     render(:partial => 'file_form')   end

Ajax aside, the function that hadles the params should look something like:

def include_files     params[:files].each_with_index do |file, index|       model = ModelName.new( :uploaded_data => file )       if model.valid?         # save or attach to other or do whatever you need       else         # your data was not valid. so redirect, flash, whatever       end     end   end

please nopte that i am using the plugin attachment_fu to upload and handle binaries. and my example is used with images, so i have to validate the files size and type before i save it.

hope it helps