More elegant solution for turning link into button?

I'd like my print link to look like a button. Its action responds to a GET request (as I think it should.) I wrote this helper:

<code>   def button_link( label, path, *features ) # makes a link look like a button     linktext = "<input type=button value='" << label << "' onClick=\""     if features.length > 0 # opens new window, assigns features       linktext << "window.open('" << path << "','" << label << "'"       features.each { |feature| linktext << ",'" << feature << "'" }       linktext << ');return false;">'     else # opens in same window       linktext << "self.location='" << path << '\'">'     end   end </code>

Which works as expected in the view, e.g. <code> <%= button_link( 'Print', url_for( ... ), 'new_window' ) %> </code>

But feels kind of hacky. Does anyone have a more elegant solution?

TIA, Craig

Just style a regular link; that's what CSS is for...

Just style a regular link; that's what CSS is for...

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

That would be useful if you wanted to use an image for the link. But what if you want the default button for the browser? Craig

You don't need to use an image to style a link to look generically like a button, but yes, if you want it to look like a platform's native button, then you need to use a form element (or jump through a lot of hoops to try to simulate it).

You don't need to use an image to style a link to look generically like a button, but yes, if you want it to look like a platform's native button, then you need to use a form element (or jump through a lot of hoops to try to simulate it).

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

How would you style a link to look generically like a button without an image? Sorry for wandering OT into CSS land, but if the answer works, it cuts out some Rails code in my app. Keep in mind that I need the functionality of opening a new window when the user presses a button, which my code currently provides.

Thanks, Craig

A quick example: <http://webtuitive.com/samples/button.html&gt;

A quick example: <http://webtuitive.com/samples/button.html&gt;

Appreciate it, but that's a heck of a lot of CSS code to get something that approximates the look of a default button :wink:

Thanks, Craig

Are you kidding? It's utterly trivial. And you don't even have to use most of that if you don't care about the hover/active behavior.

And I would certainly prefer it to creating a form element needlessly for a simple link. But YMMV.

Appreciate it, but that's a heck of a lot of CSS code to get something that approximates the look of a default button :wink:

Thanks, Craig

Hassan is right that its trivial css implementation.

If you feel like learning SASS & Compass, there is the fancy buttons mixin that gives very , well fancy, buttons http://brandonmathis.com/blog/2009/11/19/fancy-buttons-are-here/

Brian