Mongrel vs Apache with Mongrel

Hi,

Is there any point in running Apache in front of Mongrel if you are not running a Mongrel Cluster?

I have a small app with only a few users and currently just using standalone Mongrel. I cant really see any advantage of putting it behind Apache.

Am I missing something?

Cheers Giorgio

Is there any point in running Apache in front of Mongrel if you are not running a Mongrel Cluster?

I have a small app with only a few users and currently just using standalone Mongrel. I cant really see any advantage of putting it behind Apache.

Am I missing something?

Nope. If you're traffic isn't high enough to warrant having apache serve the static files, there's not much reason to do this.

But without a cluster you can only serve *one* rails request at a time. Again, if traffic isn't high enough this might not be a problem either.

But say your small app is a video archive... one user uploading a video will block all the other rails requests.

But if it's working out for you, there's no reason to change it now.

Oh, that’s quite nice to know. My current little project is only ever going to have one user at a time, because it’s running on a small intranet, so it’s good that Mongrel will do the job just fine. I might have to have non-programmers starting it up some of the time, and my exe startup program (using NSIS) will be much easier to write.