Modeling/Validating a two to many Relationship

I am trying to model a soccer tournament which consists of games and each game has two teams assigned:

The two models (Team and Game) that have a 2 : many relationship, i.e. 1 game has two teams. I modelled this with two has_many/has_one relationships to a model called TeamsGames. In there, I have an additional field "team_type" to keep track of whether it is a home or a guest team. This additional field is also the reason why I do not use a has_and_belongs_to_many relationship.

My first question is whether this design makes sense. I was thinking of using inheritance to differenciate between home and away teams, but because every team can be either one in different games, it does not work.

Anyway, I went ahead and created a form that allows you to enter game information (e.g. the date). The same form has two drop-down menus to choose the home and away team. The drop-downs are populated from the teams model. This approach seems to work fine except for the fact that I do not know how to validate the drop-down selections:

The validation needed is very simple: home and away team are required and must be different. The problem I have is that when I use standard, model based validation, I am checking against the database, but this is wrong. I should only compare the two drop-down boxes as these will update the database. I assume this has to be done in the controller somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, D.

Here is the code for the form, controller and my models:

[b]Edit Game Form[/b] [code=]<h2>Edit Game Details</h2>

<% form_tag :action => 'edit_game', :id => params[:id] do %>   <%= error_messages_for :game %>

<p><label for="game_tournament_id">Tournament</label>   <%= select :game, :tournament_id, @tournaments %></p>

<p><label for="game_name">Name</label>   <%= text_field :game, :name %></p>

<p><label for="game_date">Date</label>   <%= date_select :game, :date %></p>

<h2>Home and Guest Teams</h2>   <p>     <% for @teams_games in @game.teams_games %>       <%= error_messages_for :teams_games %>

<% fields_for 'teams_games' do |f| %>         <%= f.select :team_id, @teamslist %>       <% end %>     <% end %>   </p>

<%= submit_tag 'Update' %>   <%= link_to 'Cancel', :action => 'list_games', :id => @game.tournament %> <% end %>[/code] [b]The models[/b] [code=]class Team < ActiveRecord::Base

# t.column :name, :string, :null => false # t.column :founding_date, :date

has_many :teams_games, :class_name => 'TeamsGames'   has_many :games, :through => :teams_games

validates_presence_of :name end

class Game < ActiveRecord::Base

# t.column :name, :string # t.column :date, :date # t.column :tournament_id, :integer, :null => false

belongs_to :tournament   has_many :teams_games, :class_name => 'TeamsGames'   has_many :teams, :through => :teams_games   has_many :home_team,               :through => :teams_games,               :source => :team,               :conditions => "teams_games.team_type = 'Home'",               :limit => '1'   has_many :guest_team,               :through => :teams_games,               :source => :team,               :conditions => "teams_games.team_type = 'Guest'",               :limit => '1'

validates_presence_of :tournament_id end

class TeamsGames < ActiveRecord::Base

# t.column :team_type, :string, :null => false # t.column :team_id, :integer, :null => false # t.column :game_id, :integer, :null => false

belongs_to :team   belongs_to :game

validates_presence_of :team_id, :team_type

def self.get_team_types     {:home => "Home", :guest => "Guest"}   end end[/code] [b]The edit action[/b] [code=]def edit_game     @tournaments = Tournament.find(:all, :order => 'name').map {|t| [t.name, t.id]}     @game = Game.find(params[:id])     @teamslist = Team.find(:all, :order => 'name').map {|t| [t.name, t.id]}

if request.post?       @game.attributes = params[:game]       @game.teams_games.each { |t| t.attributes = params[:teams_games] [t.id.to_s] }

if @game.valid? && @game.teams_games.all?(&:valid?)         @game.save!         @game.teams_games.each(&:save!)

flash[:notice] = "#{@game.name} has been updated successfully"         redirect_to :action => 'list_games', :id => @game.tournament       end     end   end[/code]