Model Relations

Hi,

I am creating my databases and models and I need to use some relationships. I am very new at this so any help or info at all would be great. :slight_smile:

The concept is: There are three resources: people, items and tags.

* An item belongs to one person, the creator. * A person can create many items. * An item can have many tags. * A tag can be used on many items.

Here my models:

You could use has and belongs to many or has many through. Either way you will need another table (the join table for the relationship between tags and items), the existing tables are fine as is. You might find Active Record Associations — Ruby on Rails Guides helpful.

Fred

You can shorten this part up by using Tag.find_or_create_by_name, one of the dynamic finder methods. And I'd add a generic warning to NEVER use #{} interpolation directly in anything you're feeding to an AR conditions parameter, unless you want to relearn the lesson of little Bobby Tables...

The final code will look something like:

def create     # find item, put in @item     @item.tags = params[:tags].split(' ').map do |tag|       Tag.find_or_create_by_name(tag)     end     # do whatever else   end

Alternatively, you could encapsulate this behavior in the Item model, using a virtual tags_attr or the like to do the parsing. I'd recommend that you take a look at some of the approaches taken by acts_as_taggable and it's descendants.

--Matt Jones