Missing production secret_key_base in rails

Hi,

I have asked this question on github.

Senny answered me to set export SECRET_KEY_BASE =d1f4810e662acf46a33960e3aa5bd0************************

``

in your peoduction server. but I do not know how to set that. I am deploying in openshift. I also have access to SSH via putty. I have tried this command in SSH but it gives an error “Invalid identifer”. Where should I run this command?

If using bash edit your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile and add that line, if using zsh edit your ~/.zshrc reload your terminal, restart your app and you’re done

Right, because having that information in a file called 'secrets.yml' would be AWFUL but having it in a file called '.bashrc' is just aces.

Not to mention that when your server is started at boot time by root it will immediately fail because *your* bash environment is *not* that of the root user...

Sigh.

Hey Hassan,

While I agree that having the secret key base defined in the secrets.yml file is better, remember that this feature was introduced in Rails 4.1

How would you know if this is the case?

I made that recommendation as he stated that the answer from github was to set the secret keybase using export. So please dont be rude and have a little more respect for those who aren’t as experienced as you are.

My best,

Ian

My apologies, I meant neither rudeness nor disrespect.

The whole idea of loading initialization values through environment variables in the name of "security" seems pointless to me if you're going to put them all in a shell init file anyway :slight_smile:

We already put our DB server passwords in a file that's not typically included in the app's repository but symlinked on deploy, and I've never seen anyone express any issues with that.

In any case, the .bashrc approach *will* be a problem if the app's started at boot time as a different user...

FWIW,

Thanks for sll answers.

I have asked this question specifically for openshif service. The answer is posted in this question.