migrate problem (have to go back, then forward, to "stick")

I wonder if I'm reading the various tutorials (and Agile book, version 2) incorrectly...

I make an app, and then edit e.g. by adding a new column to   migrate/002_stuff.db and then run   rake migrate   rake db:structure:dump && cat db/development_structure.sql but I see no change in the database.

However, the database *is* updated if I do   rake migrate VERSION=0   rake migrate

But isn't one supposed just to edit the migrate/*.rb files and do   rake migrate ?

dankelley wrote:

I wonder if I'm reading the various tutorials (and Agile book, version 2) incorrectly...

I make an app, and then edit e.g. by adding a new column to migrate/002_stuff.db and then run rake migrate rake db:structure:dump && cat db/development_structure.sql but I see no change in the database.

However, the database *is* updated if I do rake migrate VERSION=0 rake migrate

But isn't one supposed just to edit the migrate/*.rb files and do rake migrate ?

>

When you just run rake migrate you are telling the system to run all the migration files that are a higher number than your current db version. If you are already at version 2 and you run rake migrate after editing 002_stuff.rb nothing new will happen. When you run rake migrate VERSION=0 then you are resetting things so 002_stuff.rb is a newer file(2) than your db state(0).

Matt Margolis blog.mattmargolis.net