mapping urls

I've been reading everything about routes but I can't seem to make this work..

I have a projects controller and my projects table contains id and name fields

I want to be able to navigate to myurl.com/projects/"name" instead of the default method or /projects/"id"

Seems like this should be pretty basic but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Appreciate the help.

Im having similar problems.

Im a total newbie and cant really understand how routes.rb generates default routes and paths in rails2.0.

EG:

<td><%= link_to 'Show', user_path(user) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_user_path(user) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', user, :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :delete %></td>

Seems to render paths like this in my index

/appname/users/ for Show /appname/users//edit/ for Edit /appname/users/ for Destroy

What do I have to do to get things like user_path(user), edit_user_path(user), etc to render properly?

Should have said I have the following in my routes.rb file already

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   map.resources :users

map.users 'users', :controller => "users", :action => "index"   map.show_user 'user/:id', :controller => "users", :action => "show"   map.edit_user 'user/:id/edit', :controller => "users", :action => "edit"

end

Am I missing something stupid?

Dale Cunnigham wrote:

Should have said I have the following in my routes.rb file already

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   map.resources :users

map.users 'users', :controller => "users", :action => "index"   map.show_user 'user/:id', :controller => "users", :action => "show"   map.edit_user 'user/:id/edit', :controller => "users", :action => "edit"

end

Am I missing something stupid?

@Dale:

As an exercise for the reader, comment your three map statements in routes.rb, then run a rake routes (I usually route that output to a file for easier reading). At first glance, you shouldn't need any of your custom maps.

@polomasta: You need to read up on how Rails does its route matching...

maybe it's as easy as changing the controller code to check if the :id parameter is an int, perform a Project.find(:params[:id]), otherwise give the name based search a go Project.find_by_name(params[:id]) <- doesn't really matter what the param is called

@Dale:

As an exercise for the reader, comment your three map statements in routes.rb, then run a rake routes (I usually route that output to a file for easier reading). At first glance, you shouldn't need any of your custom maps.

Ok so on removing my custom map routes and raking I get the following:

(in /home/webbie/peoplesearch)               users GET /users {:controller=>"users", :action=>"index"}     formatted_users GET /users.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"index"}                     POST /users {:controller=>"users", :action=>"create"}                     POST /users.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"create"}            new_user GET /users/new {:controller=>"users", :action=>"new"} formatted_new_user GET /users/new.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"new"}           edit_user GET /users/:id/edit {:controller=>"users", :action=>"edit"} formatted_edit_user GET /users/:id/edit.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"edit"}                user GET /users/:id {:controller=>"users", :action=>"show"}      formatted_user GET /users/:id.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"show"}                     PUT /users/:id {:controller=>"users", :action=>"update"}                     PUT /users/:id.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"update"}                     DELETE /users/:id {:controller=>"users", :action=>"destroy"}                     DELETE /users/:id.:format {:controller=>"users", :action=>"destroy"}

This looks ok to me (Like that means anything :slight_smile: ) but It still renders the routes in exactly the same fashion.

user_path(user) and edit_user_path(user) both appear to render nothing at all. Rather than /appname/id_no/ and /appname/id_no/edit/

Is there perhaps something I need to set up in another config file. Annoyingly most of the documentation out there appears to be for rails 1.2 and not 2.0 :frowning:

Hmm... could you post your index.html.erb (or whatever) code?

Ar Chron wrote:

Hmm... could you post your index.html.erb (or whatever) code?

Ok sure index.html.erb is

<h1>Listing users</h1>

<table>   <tr>   </tr>

<% for user in @users %>   <tr>     <td><%= h user.ID %></td>     <td><%= h user.SurName %></td>     <td><%= h user.ForeName %></td>     <td><%= h user.Title %></td>     <td><%= h user.RoomNo %></td>     <td><%= h user.PhoneNo %></td>     <td><%= h user.EMail %></td>

<td><%= link_to 'Show', user_path(user) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_user_path(user) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', user, :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :delete %></td>   </tr> <% end %> </table>

<br />

<%= link_to 'New user', new_user_path %>

Dang... that looks pretty vanilla to me. What about the page source from the browser? edit_user_path and user_path are just helpers that create the href's... and should be equivalent to you typing in something like:

<%= link_to 'Show', :controller => 'users', :action => 'show', :id => user.id %>

in your view code.

Any chance that you have a borked install of Rails? I might try an update of Rails to see if it cleared up the issue.

Ar Chron wrote:

<%= link_to 'Show', :controller => 'users', :action => 'show', :id => user.id %>

Interestingly if I put that code in, the page fails as user.id doesn't exist, I think I've messed something up in the initial app set-up with my "./script/generate scaffold Users" command.

I shall delete the app and start again from scratch I think.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Got it! I knew it would be really simple.

Thanks for the responses

polomasta wrote:

I've been reading everything about routes but I can't seem to make this work..

I have a projects controller and my projects table contains id and name fields

I want to be able to navigate to myurl.com/projects/"name" instead of the default method or /projects/"id"

Seems like this should be pretty basic but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Appreciate the help.

The most common way to do this is to override the to_param method on your model. When rails generates a route for a model it calls to_param on that model object, which ends up in the :id spot on your url. By default, this returns the id.

If you add something like this to your model, where permalink is a database field on that model:

def to_param     permalink   end

Then when you generate routes for that model object it will look like:

/thingies/my_cool_permalink

Now you just need to change how you fetch your models. On your show action, change the standard

@thingy = Thingy.find(params[:id])

to

@thingy = Thing.find_by_permalink(params[:id])