Major Scaffolding Extensions Release

This is just a heads up to Scaffolding Extensions plugin users that the latest revision (r90, which I just released) breaks backwards compatibility, so you'll want to read the doc/conversion.txt file in the plugin before upgrading. Changes will be fairly easy unless you were a heavy user that depended on the previous internals of the plugin.

The plugin has been around since before Rails 1.0 (parts of the code were around before the plugin system was introduced), and changes have been pretty much backwards compatible since, so I don't break backwards compatibility without a good reason. In this case, keeping it would do more harm than good to the plugin, as I refactored most of it to be able support other frameworks (it now supports Ramaze) and ORMs, as well as give much more control over the data displayed on the scaffolded forms.

If you aren't familiar with the plugin, here's info from the README:

Scaffolding Extensions provides a powerful and simple to use administrative interface to perform common actions on models. It has the following features:

* Creates pages for browsing, creating, deleting, displaying, updating, searching, and merging records * Choose which fields are displayed in the scaffolds and in which order * Handles associated records for common one-to-many, many-to-one, and many-to-many associations. * Extensive support for modifying the display and working of the plugin * Advanced features such as access control, autocompleting, and eager loading

Scaffolding Extensions is not a code generator, and isn't really scaffolding at all, as you are not expected to modify the output. Instead, you use configuration options inside the model to control the display of the pages. The scaffolding analogy is misleading, Scaffolding Extensions is not really scaffolding--it is a completely functional structure that you can easily modify to better suit your needs.

Feel free to contact me at code@jeremyevans.net if you have any questions about Scaffolding Extensions.

Thanks, Jeremy