Locate rails application root directory

Is there a simple way to obtain the full path of the Rails application root directory from the Rails application? (The parent dir of the apps,public, etc. directories)

Thanks in advance, Don McClean

Is there a simple way to obtain the full path of the Rails application root directory from the Rails application? (The parent dir of the apps,public, etc. directories)

The RAILS_ROOT constant.

However this will most likely be a relative path, but you can use File.expand_path to make it absolute.

-philip

Thanks!

I’m relatively new to Unix. Is there a problem with using the relative path vs. the absolute? I’d just like to be clearer on that 'cause I sometimes see just RAILS_ROOT and sometimes the File.expand_path. I’m no fan of the cargo cult so I’ve just stuck with using RAILS_ROOT. :wink:

RSL

I'm relatively new to Unix. Is there a problem with using the relative path vs. the absolute? I'd just like to be clearer on that 'cause I sometimes see just RAILS_ROOT and sometimes the File.expand_path. I'm no fan of the cargo cult so I've just stuck with using RAILS_ROOT. :wink:

I don't think so... maybe in some cases where you have some shared code and want to test the path to set a variable... of some sort... in that case you'd want the full path to test with.

Thanks!

There can be a problem with relative vs absolute path when it comes to #require:

require ‘./…/lib/file’ vs require ‘/home/user/site/lib/file’

Doing both will actually require the file twice, as Ruby caches according to the string given. While this is a rare case, it can lead to a lot of debugging time if you don’t realize this, so be careful.

Jason