localized templates in rails 2.1

I'm trying to implement localized templates in rails 2.1. The background is I have a large codebase which among other things uses engines plugin, making it a mess to upgrade to rails 2.3 which includes this. Therefore I wanted to change the rendering behaviour in rails 2.1 so that it searches for files like

index.fr.html.erb or /views/fr/base/index.html.erb if Locale.code (using Globalite) is fr.

First I tried coding a :before_filter in my Application controller and using prepend_view_path("views/localized/#{@Locale.code}" to add a new search path for views. I couldn't get this to work, it seems to have no effect.

The Localized Templates plugin by Jose Valim (http://github.com/josevalim/localized_templates) looks very good, and seems it must have been coded before rails 2.2 came out (released sep 2008). However I get problems with calls to memoize, and if I remove those calls, to the _view paths array. Any ideas? (I thought memoize was rails 2.2 feature..) Alternative ways for localized templates?

This is my first time working inside rails and I'm banging my head against a wall:p

Memoize error: C:/Documents and Settings/dkleman/My Documents/NetBeansProjects/myCaddieCommunity/vendor/plugins/localized_templates-0.2.0/lib/localized_templates/actionview/base.rb:60: undefined method `memoize' for ActionView::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

If I remove the calls to memoize I get problems with view_paths array: ActionView::TemplateError (undefined method `view_paths' for #<ActionView::Base:0x66a8e38>) on line #7 of app/views/base/site_index.html.haml

Cheers, David