Library management system in ROR

hey everyone

I have to work on a project of library management system .Can anyone please suggest me a gud library manangement system already build in ROR so that i can work on it and can customized according to the requirements.

amritpal p. wrote in post #1021198:

hey everyone                         I have to work on a project of library management system .Can anyone please suggest me a gud library manangement system already build in ROR so that i can work on it and can customized according to the requirements.

You're not going to get very far with vague open-ended questions like this. What sort of library management system are you talking about? Code libraries, a library of physical paper books, online documentation, or what?

If you've been given a project to work on, and you just go grab a nearly completed solution, why do they need you? Why not go find the guy that wrote whatever library management system you might find and hire him?

amritpal p. wrote in post #1021198:

hey everyone

I have to work on a project of library

management

system .Can anyone please suggest me a gud library manangement system

already build in ROR so that i can work on it and can customized

according to the requirements.

You’re not going to get very far with vague open-ended questions like

this. What sort of library management system are you talking about? Code

libraries, a library of physical paper books, online documentation, or

what?

I have to implement it in my college.You we can say it a college library management system.I have worked on ruby on rails a bit so i will be easy for me if i there is a any system made in ruby on rails

If you’ve been given a project to work on, and you just go grab a nearly

completed solution, why do they need you? Why not go find the guy that

wrote whatever library management system you might find and hire him?

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.

To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

checkout bxr library mgmt system

http://github.com/sandipransing/library_management_system

Dear Robert Walker,                               If everything he needs to be done from scratch, whats the use of gems which are coming in hundreds every now and then? Infact what's the need of using rails? He can develop the same app using only pure ruby! Can i say that? Help others if you can, else keep doing your work...

Dear Robert Walker, If everything he needs to be done from scratch, whats the use of gems which are coming in hundreds every now and then?

When did Robert say anything regarding starting from scratch?! He suggested that Amritpal might want to ask better questions, or maybe his college should get the originator of the code to do the work for them (ie. get *you* to tweak your bxr code rather than have Amritpal do it and claim credit...)

Infact what's the need of using rails? He can develop the same app using only pure ruby! Can i say that?

no... I don't think *he* can develop the same app in pure ruby...

Help others if you can, else keep doing your work...

Sage advice. Before you give it, check Amritpal's posting history (and record for impersonating people with multiple email accounts to make himself look better).

Hi Michael,                 I feel, that application can be done in pure ruby for sure. The question may be bit optimistic. But your answer should not be harsh. He might be a beginner. He might not have the brain you have. My intention is don't make the people feel fear/shy to ask a question.

Hi Michael, I feel, that application can be done in pure ruby for sure. The question may be bit optimistic. But your answer should not be harsh. He might be a beginner. He might not have the brain you have.

So I gather from your reply that you did not research into Amritpal's posting history?

The question was not "optimistic", it was bad. When a question is lazily composed [1], and the composer has repeatedly been asked to phrase his questions in a way more likely to get a good answer, I don't see how my opinion of the composer can be deemed "harsh".

You're welcome to help him all you like to the best of your ability. I will continue to have my email client dump his posts straight in the bin :-/

My intention is don't make the people feel fear/shy to ask a question.

I'll leave it to you to judge from my history whether I more frequently help, scorn, or scrounge on this forum. If you want to discuss it further, please feel free to email me directly.

[1] I had initially typed "ignorantly composed" - but that may be read too many different ways. I have no issue with people who *don't know* about the topic they're asking, but I have a large issue with people who *cannot be bothered* to put in any effort to find out for themselves, or to put in the effort to assist others to help them. HTH

Hi Michael,                 I agree you are the greatest judge on the planet. Whatever it is, leave it. I am not here to argue with anyone. And of course this group is not for that too. Have a great time.

Michael Pavling wrote in post #1021231:

Dear Robert Walker,               If everything he needs to be done from scratch, whats the use of gems which are coming in hundreds every now and then?

When did Robert say anything regarding starting from scratch?! He suggested that Amritpal might want to ask better questions, or maybe his college should get the originator of the code to do the work for them (ie. get *you* to tweak your bxr code rather than have Amritpal do it and claim credit...)

Exactly my point. There is a right way to ask questions on a forum such as this. If you were to do a bit of research you would find that the best developers, who provide the best answers on a forum such as this have the same attitude that I have.

Our time is valuable, but we frequent here in hopes of a mutually beneficial relationship with both new developers just getting started, or veteran developers who may have more experience in different areas of the craft.

Above all we appreciate a "solution provider" attitude. In a nutshell we're looking for clear well thought out questions and not, "Give me the solution to x."

If you're really interested in how to ask better questions of software developers, this guys explains it better than I ever could:

As someone who is an infrequent user of this forum, I appreciate it when parasites are called out.

venkata reddy wrote in post #1021245:

Hi Michael,                 I feel, that application can be done in pure ruby for sure. The question may be bit optimistic. But your answer should not be harsh. He might be a beginner. He might not have the brain you have. My intention is don't make the people feel fear/shy to ask a question.

I consider it vitally important for software developers to learn and develop knowledge gathering skills. A big part of that is learning how to ask good questions. That involves explaining clearly what problem you're trying to solve, explaining what you have already tried.

If nothing else the questions need to be presented in a way indicating that you're made an effort to solve the problem on your own. If it's a gem or library you're looking for then tell us were you've searched, what potential libraries you have found that might be helpful in solving your problem. If you mention them by name then we know you've done at least some of your own research and maybe someone on the forum may have used it an can tell you more about it.

As for the library I see posted in a early reply:

This makes me think the OP never even attempted to search Github. I'm quite sure that typing "library management" into the Github search bar would have listed this. That is my point. I'm not trying to mean just trying to help people help themselves.

And the classic:

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

(if you can't stand esr's abrasive style).

-Dave