Leopard : can't activate rails 1.2.3 already activated ...

After I installed Leopard, I immediately updated to Rails 1.2.4 (one of my project is still specifically targeting that version). I haven’t had any problems running script/server for it. All of my other projects are on edge Rails, and none of them exhibit any problems with script/server either.

I’m know that I’m not directly addressing your problem with 1.2.3, but could you just update to 1.2.4 or 1.2.5?

Craig

Understood. However, there aren’t very many changes from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 to 1.2.5. The changes are minor bug fixes and some deprecation warnings in preparation for 2.0.

It sounds like your app might be tied to the Rails version installed via RubyGems. If so, it’s easy to try your app with a new version of Rails and use the older version if the newer one doesn’t work well. In config/environment.rb of your project, you should be able to tweak the RAILS_GEM_VERSION. Here’s an example from one of my projects:

Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = ‘1.2.5’ unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

You could install 1.2.4 via RubyGems

$ sudo gem install -y rails -v 1.2.4

Then you could set RAILS_GEM_VERSION in your app to 1.2.4. If that doesn’t work well, you could change it back to 1.2.3.

Could that work for you?

Regards,

Craig

It could very well be an issue with your install of Ruby/RubyGems/Rails 1.2.3 on Leopard. Given that and the very minor differences from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 , I thought it made sense to try installing multiple versions of Rails via RubyGems and binding your app to each one to see if the behavior changed. Please let us know how it went.

Regards, Craig