Learning ruby question

I'm having trouble understanding Ruby's concept of scope. Could someone explain the difference between the following 2 programs. They both return the same output "aaaaaaaa", but I'm just not sure about self in #1. Is self.day and self.title referring to and setting class variables or are they instance variables? Thanks in advance.

# 1. class Session   attr_accessor :day, :title

def initialize()     self.day = "aaaaaaaa"     self.title = "bbbbb"   end end

s=Session.new puts s.day

In both cases you're setting instance variables. Class variables are designated with '@@', and instance variables are usually designated with '@'. But as you've seen, you can also set instance variables up using the 'self' reference, which is just a reference to the object receiving the message. Without the 'self' in #1, day and title would wind up being local variables that would fall out of scope as soon as initialize() ended.

If you're familiar with Java, you can think of 'self' as 'this'.

As a thought experiment, what do you think the following code will do?

class Session   attr_accessor :day, :title   def initialize()     self.day = 'aaa'     self.title = 'bbb'   end   def say_day     puts @day # Accessing day like any other instance variable, with '@'. Think it'll work?   end end s = Session.new s.say_day

Great thanks. So in my 2 examples above - the code is functionally the same. You can SET instance variables within a class using either @var = foo OR self.var = foo

As for your example, based on what I've said above - it appears you can also GET instance variables using self.var or @var - so the output should be: aaa

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

That is correct. But don't take my word for it - run it and see what it does. :slight_smile:

The best way to learn how all this stuff works is to play with it. If you think something might work a certain way, try it and see. If it doesn't do what you expected, find out why. Interactive Ruby (irb) is your friend.