Lack of Information Regarding Ruby / Rails version compatibility

I have a Rails app that I’ve been working on bringing up to date. It started on Ruby 2.0, Rails 3.2. So far, I’ve moved it to Ruby 2.2, Rails 4.2 (not in one step, but in four different steps). Why is it that there is so little information and so poorly organized about what versions of Rails work with which versions of Ruby? Even a document that brings together the information like “added support for Ruby 2.x”, “dropped support for Ruby 2.y”, etc. would be helpful. I know that that would not solve all the issues of upgrading, but it would address one area that ought to be easy to do.

2 Likes

As you gather experience now would you mind creating such a document and add it to the rails guides?

1 Like

The upgrade guides have this information:

1 Like

I am acquiring some experience and taking notes, so I can create such a document. My biggest concern is that my knowledge is coming from trial and error, so I won’t be surprised if there ends up being inaccurate information. But if we want to consider it a live document to which others can contribute updates and errata, it can hopefully become a helpful guide.

As Petrik said, the official documentation has a section about Ruby/Rails compatibility.

Also, if you need a bit more information, I’ve been trying to keep up to date details in a table format in this article: Ruby & Rails Compatibility Table.

In the past we have worked with really old Rails applications that required a specific set of dependencies (specifically defined versions of Bundler, Ruby, Rails, and Rubygems)

Thanks, Ernesto, that will be helpful.

1 Like

I once got a project to upgrade it — several versions up. At the time I also needed to know which version wasn’t EOL yet.

I don’t think EOL information is on the official documentation. Do you think it’s something that should be added?

Hey Bruno, EOL information can be found over here: Maintenance Policy for Ruby on Rails — Ruby on Rails Guides

At the moment it should be clear that the oldest version that is getting severe security patches is Rails v5.2.0. That means that any version before that one has been EOLed.

It might be a little confusing because there are two pages that talk about the Rails maintenance policy:

If it were up to me, I would make https://rubyonrails.org/maintenance/ redirect to the guides page. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Ernesto! I don’t think I’ve ever been to either of those pages before. :+1:

1 Like