Just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron, WOW

After being publicly humiliated by the likes of Obie Fernandez for my use of the....(whisper) Windows... platform, I decided to try installing Ubuntu again. Besides, it would only be worse if I showed up at Rails Conf running..(whisper) Windows.

Oh, I tried to quit in the past, I even ran Fiesty Fawn for 4 months on my desktop, but the addiction was strong. I bought a new laptop and it had..(whisper) XP. I thought I was strong enough to have just a little and then quit again, but you know how that doesn't work. I was right back to mainlining MS Word. In Dec, I got away from the computer for a few days and the haze cleared a bit. I tried to get off the sh-t, but the Fiesty Fawn CD wouldn't even run on my Lenovo Laptop which further sustained my denial. After yesterday http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/f6a94eb71d764a4/cf7be3dba9c191c1?lnk=gst&q=tail#cf7be3dba9c191c1 I knew it was "Get Clean or Die" I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04, which was released in April and Holy Hardy Heron does it ever rock. Everything works, wireless, USB. It actually wanted to dual boot.

Having been the victim of years of installation abuse by Microsoft, including some full weekends lost to NT-server and as recently as last fall, spending 2 days just to get a full XP environment with Rails, Aptana, Java sdk etc..... This was the easiest, smoothest, fastest OS install I have ever done. like 15 minutes on a fresh HD. (OK that's an exaggeration, but not much of one)

Things are getting better already, my friends aren't avoiding me and I am starting to think clearly. I realize this is only the first of 12 steps, but for the rest of you that are addicted, THERE IS HOPE!

Long story short, if you have been avoiding Linux on your laptop because of the problems of wireless drivers etc, it appears that those days are gone.

You rock! It's great you installed Ubuntu. I use it at home on my designated desktop and let me tell you. I could live without Windows...

railskid wrote:

You rock! It's great you installed Ubuntu. I use it at home on my designated desktop and let me tell you. I could live without Windows...

Yah mon, Ubuntu is very nice...

I run it as a VM at home (Gutsy Gibbon) because several factors dictate that I keep XP Pro at home (work, GPS software, along with those 3 games I just can't seem to do without), and running it as the inverse (Ubuntu OS and an XP Pro VM) just doesn't work with my requirements.

Everything I do for RoR at home is developed under XP, tested there, then uploaded to my Ubuntu VM for "deployment" and "final" testing. This matches perfectly with work, where all the desktops are XP Pro, but my app is on the intranet hosted by a headless Ubuntu Server 7.10 (which is running in it's own VM).

H.H. is great. I do have to say, though, that some of the wireless issues are not gone; or at least they are still around in the edubuntu release that I wanted to toss onto my children's computer. That said, it does have a terribly old wireless nic... :stuck_out_tongue:

I did come across one problem, Firebug was not working, or to be more precise, I couldn't even install Firebug.

I found a workaround:

sudo apt-get install firebug

Windows Vista is the greatest thing that ever happened to Ubuntu!

Ruby Freak wrote:

I did come across one problem, Firebug was not working, or to be more precise, I couldn't even install Firebug.

I found a workaround:

sudo apt-get install firebug

Next time use sudo aptitude install. Because aptitude search works too, and apt-get makes searching hard.

Yet another problem minor with the advanced version of Firefox 3 Beta 5 The Aptana start page pukes with the beta.

The fix is simple, but it took a while to find. Just go Applications Add/remove and add a second, older, Firefox-2 browser. You don't have to uninstall Firefox 3 Beta 5.

after that go here http://www.aptana.com/docs/index.php/Installing_Aptana_on_Linux#Generic_Installation_Instructions

and edit the line to:

usr/bin/firefox-2

Good luck

Aptana? :slight_smile: The next step for you my friend is Vim!

Need more convincing?

When you're convinced, here's a guide to setting it up: http://ruby.about.com/b/2007/06/23/the-railsvim-tutorial.htm

but read my notes for installing it on Ubuntu Gutsy:

Since we're using Hardy now, read this too:

I know this is the rails mailing list rather than an Ubuntu list, but maybe someone can help me :slight_smile:

I tried HH for a few days now but as soon as I activate the ATI Catalyst driver my notebook randomly shuts down after a couple minutes - most of the times this includes running the logout scripts but it also happened that the notebook just turned off completely without any warning - this doesn't happen under windows so it is certainly not a hardware problem.

My system is an Acer Travelmate 5720G with an ATI Mobility Radeon x2500 which I read is nothing more than a "rebadged x1700" - the card is not listed under supported grahic cards on the ATI website, but on the other I always read that all new graphic cards (beginning from Radeon 9300 or so) should work with the Catalyst drivers..

I tried the graphic drivers that are listed in the official Ubuntu repositories, the ATI installer with the newest catalyst 8.5. (although the installer showed something like 8.4.x - don't know if they forgot to update the title of the installer or if the download- link wasn't updated by ATI) and also the "envy"-installer... In all the cases the installation seems to be successful and the control center doesn't show any errors as well. Still I get these random system shut downs that are simply unacceptable.

Does anyone got any ideas? (or could you maybe refer me somewhere I could get help :slight_smile: )

Thanks a lot!!!

What's wrong with

apt-get install vim-rails

There is a reason I went to all the trouble of packaging it.

The latest version is in my archive here:

Hi,

I have no answers to any of the questions above sorry. I just had to comment. I use XP at home (proudly). But I've tried Ubuntu many times at home and always went back to XP. I have to use Ubuntu occasionally at work as well.

I praise the Linux guys for creating it, and the Ubuntu guys for making Ubuntu. However Windows has never given me as many headaches as Ubuntu. It might be better, safer, cooler... But it fails in such a basic issues that really makes me crazy. I've spent hours googling for solutions to simple things, like USB drive not detected, now go and find instructions how to mount drives, many applications I need to install fail because of some dependencies, now go and install those separately. Then you find out that your Linux flavour is not really supported. Yeah apt-get rocks, when it works.

Everything I ever needed to install in windows is one click and done. However when I need to install something to Ubuntu I think "ok lets see where this fails now and how long is gonna take me". I won't even try the new version, until i'm forced to 8-P

Furthermore Linux seems so fragmented with so many flavours that you need to be an expert on the area.

If I could choose I would get a Mac and have Windows and Ubuntu in the same machine...

Cheers.

If I could choose I would get a Mac and have Windows and Ubuntu in the same machine...

You can triple boot a mac or use parallels/vmware.

Fred