joins with paginate syntax problem

First, let me just say "YES, I KNOW, I SHOULD BE USING WILL PAGINGATE INSTEAD".

Now, with that out of the way, and assuming that I have some reason (stubornness, laziness, whatever) to keep using paginate on this old project in 1.2 rails...

I'm trying to set up my conditions with a "joins" parameter. I have a join table which follows the active record expectation for a habtm association, which is unfortunately inconsistent pluralization wise with a regular table name. the join table is called "events_owners", so it is plural and that seems to screw things up with the conditions.

Here's my code right now...     @events_for_reports_pages, @events_for_reports = paginate :events,           :joins => :events_owners,           :conditions => [ "events_owners.owner_id=?" , @owner.id ],           :order => :created_at,           :per_page => 50

Here's the error I get back: Mysql::Error: Unknown column 'events_ownerss.owner_id' in 'where clause': SELECT count(*) AS count_all FROM events events_owners WHERE (events_ownerss.owner_id=1)

Any ideas? I think it is because the events_owners table is pluralized, where as a normal table isn't, but maybe it is something else.

thanks, jp