It might be ORM problem

Hi,    I have a model user.rb, a controller userdata_controller, methods in the controller and respective .rhtml files. I created a registration page. Saved into users table and it works fine. But sometimes its throwing error as

undefined method `city=' for #<User >

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:251:in `method_missing' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2361:in `send' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2361:in `attributes=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2360:in `each' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2360:in `attributes=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2130:in `initialize' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:124:in `new' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:124:in `useraccount' -e:2:in `load' -e:2

It assumes that there is no field 'city' in table users. I confused a lot. It is never working until i restart my mongrel. I am not able to predict, when the problem rises.

Any idea? Help me..

Thanks, -Sadeesh kumar.

Hi Matthew,

Does the `users` table have a `city` column?

Yes,   My table have 'city' column. and i am able to save user data, when he do registration.This problem occurs on only at particular scenario.Just now I found a scenario, Which is

1.When i try to go to (action)registration page by clicking the link, then the registration process works well. 2.When i try to go to same (action)registration page by redirecting from another action(based on condition whether the user has logged in or not), then the registration process fails when i do save the user.

What does the User model look like?

user.rb

Do you see anything in the log file when it gives undefined method that might give a clue?

What deployment system are you using? Try running webrick and test there, if the problem doesn't happen, then it's probably something with your production deployment.

1.When i try to go to (action)registration page by clicking the link, then the registration process works well. 2.When i try to go to same (action)registration page by redirecting from another action(based on condition whether the user has logged in or not), then the registration process fails when i do save the user.

Hmm, that's strange. The only thing I can think of is that the redirection is setting a session variable or cookie or some other persistent data that's messing up the process.

No roth,     Problem comes with webrick also. And i am in development mode only. I could found the below one in my log file,

NoMethodError (undefined method `city=' for #<User >):     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/attribute_methods.rb:251:in `method_missing'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2361:in `send'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2361:in `attributes='     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2360:in `each'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2360:in `attributes='     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2130:in `initialize'     /app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:124:in `new'     /app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:124:in `useraccount'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:1162:in `send'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:1162:in `perform_action_without_filters'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:580:in `call_filters'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:573:in `perform_action_without_benchmark'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/benchmarking.rb:68:in `perform_action_without_rescue'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in `measure'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/benchmarking.rb:68:in `perform_action_without_rescue'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/rescue.rb:201:in `perform_action_without_caching'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/caching/sql_cache.rb:13:in `perform_action'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/query_cache.rb:33:in `cache'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/query_cache.rb:8:in `cache'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/caching/sql_cache.rb:12:in `perform_action'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:529:in `send'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:529:in `process_without_filters'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:569:in `process_without_session_management_support'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/session_management.rb:130:in `process'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:389:in `process'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:149:in `handle_request'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:107:in `dispatch'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:104:in `synchronize'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:104:in `dispatch'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:120:in `dispatch_cgi'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/dispatcher.rb:35:in `dispatch'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/webrick_server.rb: 112:in `handle_dispatch'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/webrick_server.rb: 78:in `service'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/webrick_server.rb: 62:in `dispatch'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/commands/servers/ webrick.rb:66     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:509:in `require'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:354:in `new_constants_in'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:509:in `require'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/commands/server.rb: 39     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'     c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'     ./script/server:3     -e:2:in `load'     -e:2

Rendering c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/ action_controller/templates/rescues/layout.erb (internal_server_error)

my scenarios are this, 1.When i try to go to (action)registration page by clicking the link, then the registration process works well. 2.When i try to go to same (action)registration page by redirecting from another action(based on condition whether the user has logged in or not), then the registration process fails when i do save the user.

If i follow the first scenario, no problem.    If i follow the second scenario, problem rises.    If i follow the first scenario after did the second scenario, problem rises still.

Looking for your billion dollar answer. Thanks, -Sadeesh

my scenarios are this, 1.When i try to go to (action)registration page by clicking the link, then the registration process works well. 2.When i try to go to same (action)registration page by redirecting from another action(based on condition whether the user has logged in or not), then the registration process fails when i do save the user.

start the server and If i follow the first scenario, no problem.    restart the server and If i follow the second scenario, problem rises.    restart the server and If i follow the first scenario after did the second scenario, problem rises still.

Looking for your billion dollar answer. Thanks, -Sadeesh

Does it go away if you change cache_classes to true in development.rb?

Fred

Hi Frederick,        First of all thanks for your reply.Your answer is great and it resolved my problem partially for the below one. -----8<-------

Does it go away if you change cache_classes to true in development.rb? Fred

------>8--------

Yes, it gets away after I made cache_classes = true in development.rb. But it has been fixed partially. Now what is the real problem is,

1.If I follow the first scenario as usual no problem and if I continue the second scenario, it works(because of your suggestion). 2.If I directly do the second scenario, problem rises and If I continue the first one then also problem rises. I could able to do nothing then after.

Can you explain me why? looking for your reply Frederick,

Thanks, -Sadeesh kumar.

Yes, it gets away after I made cache_classes = true in development.rb. But it has been fixed partially. Now what is the real problem is,

1.If I follow the first scenario as usual no problem and if I continue the second scenario, it works(because of your suggestion). 2.If I directly do the second scenario, problem rises and If I continue the first one then also problem rises. I could able to do nothing then after.

This means you are confusing the dependencies mechanism. This usually means that either: - You have got plugins hanging on to references to one of your model classes or instances of it - You're explicitly requiring a class (ie using require), which sidesteps rails' dependency stuff.

Fred

Fred,     I am using only one plugin simple_captcha. And I never explicitly requiring a class in my app.    Now I am in new problem which is I am having model profile.rb and table named profiles. If I tend to do like below,

current_profile = Profile.new("from_user_id" => session[:user_id],"to_user_id" => 5)    current_profile.save

then it throws similar problem,     NoMethodError in MatrimonyController#forwardprofiles

undefined method `to_user_id=' for #<Profile >

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:251:in `method_missing' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2361:in `send' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2361:in `attributes=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2360:in `each' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2360:in `attributes=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:2130:in `initialize' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:52:in `new' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:52:in `forwardprofiles' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:49:in `each' app/controllers/matrimony_controller.rb:49:in `forwardprofiles' -e:2:in `load' -e:2

By comparing this with the previous one, do you have any Idea?

Thanks, -Sadeesh.

k Matthew,       I do the same. Thanks, -Sadeesh.