Issue with connecting to oracle database

irb(main):004:0> require ‘ruby-oci8’

LoadError: Cannot find OCI.DLL in PATH.

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/ruby-oci8-2.2.7-x64-mingw32/lib/oci8/check_load_error.rb:42:in `check_os_specific_load_error’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/ruby-oci8-2.2.7-x64-mingw32/lib/oci8/check_load_error.rb:138:in `check_load_error’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/ruby-oci8-2.2.7-x64-mingw32/lib/oci8.rb:110:in `rescue in <top (required)>’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/ruby-oci8-2.2.7-x64-mingw32/lib/oci8.rb:114:in `<top (required)>’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/ruby-oci8-2.2.7-x64-mingw32/lib/ruby-oci8.rb:1:in `<top (required)>’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `require’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `rescue in require’

from C:/tools/ruby23/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:40:in `require’

from (irb):4

from C:/tools/ruby23/bin/irb.cmd:19:in `’

Is this your server, or your workstation? If the latter, did you install the instant client or the development package?

Walter

I am not getting your question could you please explain me in detail

I am not getting your question could you please explain me in detail

Is this error message coming from your production server, or your development computer (laptop/desktop)? If this is your development machine, which one of the free installer packages from Oracle did you install on that machine? I have never used Windows for anything, but I have to use Oracle for my day job, and there's a whole bunch of software that you have to install if you want to use Oracle for development. If you're using Oracle on a production server, then this question is probably best handled by your DBA. If you're using Oracle in production without hiring a DBA, you are probably going to have a very long road ahead of you.

Walter

The error is coming from my development computer. I am to connect through Oracle client but when I am trying to use Oracle in Ruby I am getting the error message.

Hello,

Please look into this documentation https://github.com/kubo/ruby-oci8/blob/master/docs/install-instant-client.md#windows . They mentioned what needs to be done when such error comes up.