Issue running migrations from MySQL...

I'm a little new to migrations, and would appreciate any help...

This is the migration I am attempting to run:

class CreateEmployees < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :employees do |t|       t.column :id, :integer, :null => false       t.column :user_name, :string, :null => false, :limit => 32       t.column :first_name, :string, :limit => 32       t.column :last_name, :string, :limit => 32       t.column :mod_dt, :datetime, :null => false     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :employees   end end

After running 'rake migrate', I receive this as an error message:

Mysql::Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(11), `user_name` varchar(32) NOT NULL, `first_name` varchar(32) DEFAULT NULL, `' at line 1: CREATE TABLE employees (`id` int(11) DEFAULT NULL auto_increment PRIMARY KEY(11), `user_name` varchar(32) NOT NULL, `first_name` varchar(32) DEFAULT NULL, `last_name` varchar(32) DEFAULT NULL, `mod_dt` datetime NOT NULL) ENGINE=InnoDB

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the MySQL error is happening because the migrations is passing an apostrophe " ' " around the column names, i.e. 'user_name', 'id', etc.

Why would migrations create an incorrect SQL string?

Thanks very much for any help.

I think the ID field is generated automatically.

I got the same error you did, using your code. Removing the ID field line from the create table block got rid of the error.

Wow, thanks a lot man.