Is it possible?

Hi!

I have hired a developer who has recommended Ruby on Rails to use for the administration part of our website where vendors can login and manage their inventory and pricing. In the original proposal document that we sent him we requested that vendors be able to make changes to pricing, inventory and special deals that can affect individual shops or all the shops at once that they have registered under their admin login. At first he said this was possible but has since advised that due to the limitations of Ruby on Rails that it is not possible and we will have to pay him more money for a new system to be developed. This seems like something that should be able to be quite easily done with Ruby on Rails from what I have seen of our admin site so far.

Is he telling the truth? If he isn't and it is possible, can someone please reply with technical terms briefly explaining how to do it, so I can go back to him with proper information.

Many thanks!

Hi!

I have hired a developer who has recommended Ruby on Rails to use for the administration part of our website where vendors can login and manage their inventory and pricing. In the original proposal document that we sent him we requested that vendors be able to make changes to pricing, inventory and special deals that can affect individual shops or all the shops at once that they have registered under their admin login. At first he said this was possible but has since advised that due to the limitations of Ruby on Rails that it is not possible and we will have to pay him more money for a new system to be developed. This seems like something that should be able to be quite easily done with Ruby on Rails from what I have seen of our admin site so far.

That sounds slightly dubious. I suppose it's possible that they've been using some off the shelf gem for doing admin stuff (activeadmin etc) which can't easily be extended

I'd ask them specifically what limitations they're running into.

Fred

Ask him to post the problem here so that someone here can help him. It is difficult to imagine why what your are asking for cannot be done in RoR.

Colin

> Hi! > > I have hired a developer who has recommended Ruby on Rails to use for > the administration part of our website where vendors can login and > manage their inventory and pricing. In the original proposal document > that we sent him we requested that vendors be able to make changes to > pricing, inventory and special deals that can affect individual shops > or all the shops at once that they have registered under their admin > login. At first he said this was possible but has since advised that > due to the limitations of Ruby on Rails that it is not possible and we > will have to pay him more money for a new system to be developed. > This seems like something that should be able to be quite easily done > with Ruby on Rails from what I have seen of our admin site so far. > > Is he telling the truth? If he isn't and it is possible, can someone > please reply with technical terms briefly explaining how to do it, so > I can go back to him with proper information.

He may have some authorization problems (he may be using some admin gem as Frederick mentioned)

Ask him to post the problem here so that someone here can help him. It is difficult to imagine why what your are asking for cannot be done in RoR.

Colin

I also think that is difficult to think of something like that not getting done with Rails.

Javier