Is it possible to manage four models in a form?

The models are:

Company   has_many :categorizations   has_many :categories, :through => :categorizations

Category   has_many :categorizations   has_many :companies, :through => :categorizations

Classification   has_many :categorizations

Categorization   belongs_to :company   belongs_to :category   belongs_to :classification

I would create a new company, assign a category and assign a classification to the company.category all with one form. Is it possible? I think the only way is to create a new company and assign a category with one form, then in the company controller or company model assign a classification at company.category, the classification.id may be passed as a parameter with the form. What do you think about?

Try looking into nested forms

Try looking into nested forms

The models are:

Company

has_many :categorizations

has_many :categories, :through => :categorizations

Category

has_many :companies, :through => :categorizations

Classification

Categorization

belongs_to :company

belongs_to :category

belongs_to :classification

I would create a new company, assign a category and assign a

classification to the company.category all with one form.

Is it possible?

I think the only way is to create a new company and assign a category

with one form, then in the company controller or company model assign

a classification at company.category, the classification.id may be

passed as a parameter with the form.

What do you think about?

Yes, it’s possible to use 4 models in a single form. But you have to setup the

naming of the inputs right coupled with accepts_nested_attributes_for.

The problem is that I need to insert a value in the classification_id of the join model Categorization. The table for the join model is automatically enhanced, so when I create a new Company in the categorizations table the attributes company_id and category_id are setted. I want to set also the attribute classification_id of the join table so I think I can do it only in a before_save callback and not in the company form.

Hey, Take a look at fields_for helper. This helper might help you. :smiley:

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying but I don't see the way fields_for can help.

Hi Marco,

If I understand your question, Do you want to fill in one form many models. Am I right? If your question is this you can use fields_for to apply it.

Check something similar in

http://railscasts.com/episodes/73-complex-forms-part-1

:smiley:

Sorry, I made a mistake…

Your name is Mauro and not Marco.

;/

Yes but one of the models is the join model of a has_many :through relation. Company has_many :categories, :though => :categorizations Classification has_many :categorizations Categorization belongs_to: company belongs_to: category belongs_to: classification

Categorizations attributes are: company_id: integer category_id: integer classification_id: integer amount: decimal

When I create a new Company with a category associated a join model categorization is magically created with company_id and category_id setted, ok? I want be able, in the same form, setting also classification_id and amount, so that, when the join model is created, it have company_id, category_id, classification_id and amount all setted Classification_id is taken from a collection:

= collection_select :categorization, :classification_id, @classifications, :id, :classification_type

Is it possible to do that?