Is it possible to have an image based button with DYNAMIC text within it???

Hi,

I wanted to move to more web 2.0 style buttons (i.e. images created in photoshop) but I’m not sure how to keep the flexibility of the button text? Currently I have text in properties, for multiple languages ( i.e. one file per language). This makes it easy in terms of changing language currently. Having to create specific image buttons manually for each set of text, for each language, each time I wanted to adjust the text, obviously isn’t sounding great.

Does anyone know the answer to any of these questions:

1. Are there any tricks re maintaining the flexibility of displaying text from this respect, but with the look and feel of web 2.0 type images?

2. Is it possible to have dynamic text displayed within an image somehow perhaps?

3. What about via slicing up a web 2.0 type of button style into top/button & corners so that it is possible to create what looks like a web 2.0 button using DIV techniques (like when one creates a rounded square to keep a variable length amount of text in), and then having the text appear within this?

4. Other ideas?

Thanks Greg

4. Other Ideas?

http://dojotoolkit.org/dojo/tests/widget/test_Button.html

But I'm not so sure you want to drag another Javascript framework into it.

tks - this seems to the HTML 4.0 “Button” as it’s basis. Do you know if: a) does Rails, Prototype or Scriptaculus support the same thing? b) any general browser compatibility issues re relying on HTML 4.0 “Button”? c) is this the only way to allow dynamic text to be represented within an image for a browser?

Tks again

Is it possible to have dynamic text displayed within an image somehow perhaps?

Take a look at:

http://nubyonrails.com/articles/2006/12/18/dynamic-graphics-with-rails-1-2

Regards, Andy Stewart

tks Andrew,

I think I’m still more interested in discovering if (and how) to implement a dynamic text within a stylized button via HTML/CSS/Javascript if there is a standard way to do this.

If anyone has any pointers re this ( i.e. HTML/CSS/javascript mechanism) I’d be very interested to hear details re the approach.

Greg