Is it a good idea for me to learn Ruby on Rails?

I know HTML and CSS, but I have very little Javascript experience and very little programing knowlege.( Ruby ) I have decided to learn back-end web development. I choose Rails over Node.js

So please can you tell me if it would be a good idea to learn Node.js for or I should learn Ruby on Rails?

Go with .php and MySQL programming directly to begin with, incorporating CSS, JQuery etc. Once you’re comfortable with that, have a look at Rails.

Go with .php and MySQL programming directly to begin with, incorporating CSS, JQuery etc. Once you’re comfortable with that, have a look at Rails.

There is no point a beginner learning php, he may never need it. Just go with Ruby and Rails. If you do not know programming at all then it might be best to start with a Ruby primer to get the basics of programming, then move on to Rails.

Colin

i know ruby basic well, and what about learning other option like node.js over Rails

i know ruby basic well, and what about learning other option like node.js over Rails

You said you had very little programming knowledge. As far as rails vs node.js is concerned it depends on what you want to develop. Googling for node.js rails will give lots of hits including [1] which is a brief comparison, but no doubt you have already googled and seen those.

[1] http://wmilesn.com/2012/05/code/node-js-versus-ruby-on-rails/

Colin

Like Colin rightly said, first figure out what you want to develop. If you are a beginner with no development experience, it doesn’t really matter which one you start with.

Dheeraj Kumar

i want to develop all type of apps => traditional to Real time

Like I said, you’re a beginner, so it doesn’t matter what you start with. What matters is what you get really good at.

Dheeraj Kumar

and what about live streaming in rails 4 can it can be compare with node.js or espress.js

Express.js with Node.js gives you the full pack, Im using it plus using javascript from the backend all to the front end with jQuery, knockout.js etc, you can have all your infrastructure just in one language.

Also Node.js gives you scalability and performance in the other hand with Rails if your need something scalable or with awesome performance you end with some middleware or backend in Java or Scala.

Also Im not sure why people find so special Rails, Yes Rails got its time on 2005 when went public and it was a fresh air of a framework but right now nothing special about it.

Maybe Ruby the language still have its charming but I prefer personally Javascript or Python but thats other story.

=>>>> How true is the sentence which is in BOLD <<<====

did rails really lost its charm

Express.js with Node.js gives you the full pack, Im using it plus using javascript from the backend all to the front end with jQuery, knockout.js etc, you can have all your infrastructure just in one language.

Also Node.js gives you scalability and performance in the other hand with Rails if your need something scalable or with awesome performance you end with some middleware or backend in Java or Scala.

Also Im not sure why people find so special Rails, Yes Rails got its time on 2005 when went public and it was a fresh air of a framework but right now nothing special about it.

Maybe Ruby the language still have its charming but I prefer personally Javascript or Python but thats other story.

=>>>> How true is the sentence which is in BOLD <<<====

did rails really lost its charm

Why not try it and tell us what you think?

Colin

sure 328.png

and what about live streaming in rails 4 can it can be compare with node.js or espress.js

For someone who says that they have "very little programing knowlege" you seem to have your mind already made up. Why did you even come here and ask your question if you already know the answer?

As a side note we use Rails and we do not need Java or Scala to get things to work. We may not be Twitter but then very few companies are. But I guess have all the answers.

So young, so set in your ways. Very sad.

sure

http://tinyurl.com/44dznh6

:wink:

Make sure whatever you learn finally, use MongoDB with it. It is web scale.

Dheeraj Kumar

yes

Because added complexity on already complex apps means more performance.

Because using a pure Ruby wrapper is faster than C.

Because you can’t cluster PG anymore.

Because you can’t replicate anymore.

Because you can’t do connection pooling.

Because you can’t shard traditional databases anymore.

Because faster is always better, especially when it costs.

Why take something that specific and apply it to everything? Why? Why?

It was a joke, Jordan. Just messing around with a newbie :slight_smile:

Link related: http://www.mongodb-is-web-scale.com/

Dheeraj Kumar