is Globalize plugin dead ?

It seems to me that Globalize product is years away from last Rails 2.0.2 version...

no more information on it (latest are very old... including tutorial) no more wiki available lot of pending questions about it in many forums ...

I installed it, but tests have not been updated to Rails 2.0

is something coming with next version of Rails , making Globalize already deprecated ??

kad

We use simple_localization (http://simple-localization.arkanis.de/)) and it works very well for us. It has all the features you’ll probably need and is fully compatible with Rails > 2

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Peter De Berdt wrote:

already deprecated ??

We use simple_localization (http://simple-localization.arkanis.de/) and it works very well for us. It has all the features you'll probably need and is fully compatible with Rails > 2

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Thanks Peter, I used the first versions of it... excellent, I also tried GLoc I was just trying to test Globalize for DB content translation... I need to manage a list of product categories and activities (1 category -> n activities) in various european languages (fr, de, en, es, it,..) and I wonder how to design my db .. that's why I was looking also to Globalize..)

same table for all languages w one language column or one table per language or using Globalize, I'l let it do the job..

I would advise to implement your own solution. A polymorphically joined Translation model would be a good option. The translation model is related to a language model and polymorphically to one or more models (if you only need to link it to one model, you don’t need a polymorphic join).

class MyModel

has_many :translations, :as => :translatable

def value

self.translations.find_by_language_id(language.id) || self.translations.first # Assuming you’re using Rails 2.1, otherwise find(:first)

end

end

class Translation

belongs_to :translatable, :polymorphic => true

belongs_to :language # or just use a field to identify the language if you want them to match the simple_localization plugin ones

have a field “value” in the table

end

class Language

has_many :translations

end

This is just an untested draft of how you could do it, you’ll have to work out the setters and getters a bit better.

This will give you the flexibility of allowing extra languages to be added at any time (if you use language columns in your tables, you’re pretty much limited to the languages you make fields for). Whatever solution you work out, you’re going to hit the database a lot more and with heavier requests (since you’ll need to access joined table records).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

The wiki is currently down, please follow the development process at: http://github.com/yannlugrin/globalize/tree/master

Hi Kad,

Not sure what the current status is, but until recently (4 months) it was active. I investigated various solutions and Globalized was the best mix for me. It is simple enough to use and is pretty sophisticated. I'm using it with Rails 2.0 without problems.

Cheers, Sazima

I also chose Globalize because you can use it with Click to Globalize to dinamically translate your UI.

Cheers, Sazima

Sazima wrote:

I also chose Globalize because you can use it with Click to Globalize to dinamically translate your UI.

Cheers, Sazima

I tested it too.. nice, my major concern was testing it before using it.. and many tests failed.. I am sure they will be rewritten.... also coming Globalize 2.0 around... and no time projection, so I was afraid to start with a deprecated plugin...

otherwise it's a great plugin

I'd love to see a write-up comparing Globalize with the new i18n feature to be released in rails 2.2. What are the main differences? Is Globalize doing a lot more leg work? Will i18n be too new to use in 2.2 ? All thoughts appreciated.

-Andy