Interested in contributing to 'Getting Rails test suite to run on Jruby'

Hi everyone,

I am a 4th-year CS undergrad and have been keen to contribute to Rails/Jruby for a while. Recently, I came across the topic ‘Getting Rails test suite to run on Jruby’ on the rubyonrails-soc mailing list. (Ref: https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/11700)

I am ready with the appropriate setup for the same. Please help me get started with it.

Cheers!

What have you tried?

Hi Dheeraj,

Nothing yet. Please tell me how to get started :slight_smile:

Hello Aditya, I have written a blog post:

To summarize, process is:

1. Run the test suite to find tests that fail on JRuby

2. Try to isolate the error source. if its a rails issue, please submit a PR,. the proposed fix doesn’t have to be perfect solution, submitting WIP PR & asking for feedback should be okay. if its a issue in JRuby, then submit a PR there if you know java & can fix it all by yourself. Else, just open an issue on github describing what the problem is & provide them a small isolated code snippet which reproduces the problem.

General Guidelines:

1. Encoding issues are hardest to fix on JRuby.

2. if you get stuck which an issue that providing too difficult to solve/debug. You can switch to another issue, Try starting with easier ones to get your feet wet.

–Gaurish

Hi Gaurish,

That’s cool.

I am able to see the relevant failing tests. Am looking for a test to work on atm.

Suggest me a bug if you can in the meanwhile though.