installing rubygems

Hi all,         I have an ubuntu machine on which I installed ruby/rubygems/rails etc using synaptic pkg mngr. Today I tried a local installation of ruby in my "/home/myruby" dir by compiling ruby source code using gc and I was successful in doing so. Now how do I install rubygems and other gems into my new ruby installation dir? any help greatly appreciated...

thanks & regards, Venkat

ruby rails wrote:

Hi all,         I have an ubuntu machine on which I installed ruby/rubygems/rails etc using synaptic pkg mngr. Today I tried a local installation of ruby in my "/home/myruby" dir by compiling ruby source code using gc and I was successful in doing so. Now how do I install rubygems and other gems into my new ruby installation dir? any help greatly appreciated...

thanks & regards, Venkat   

I strongly advise _against_ installing rails or rubygems via synaptic. The last several times I tried the synaptic Rails package made several very unconventional and highly unnecessary modifications to the Rails install (such as swapping out the /usr/bin/rails executable with a script that sets up new rails projects unconventionally (such as creating a bunch of unnecessary symbolic links in the /vendor/rails directory (which really f**ks things up when you try to check your projects into subversion, and then take an update... or share it with another developer on a Mac, or with Rails installed in a different local path than you do))). There's more, but that should be enough to give you the picture.

At this point completely uninstall rubygems and rails via synaptic, check that everything has been properly removed, then follow the instructions to install rubygems and rails on rubyonrails.org/down.

Normally, I tell other Ubuntu users to always, always, always install new software via synaptic. Rails however is the one enormous exception.