installing ruby on rails

i am trying to install ruby on rails. is ruby gems the best way to go before installing rails since it is a package manager or do I need to install ruby 1.8.7?

i am trying to install ruby on rails. is ruby gems the best way to go before installing rails since it is a package manager or do I need to install ruby 1.8.7?

Rails does require rubygems. Whether or not you want ruby 1.8.7 is entirely unrelated

Fred

ok so i know ruby code already and now that im ready to learn rails i will need to install rubygems and rails to get started. is this correct?

ok so i know ruby code already and now that im ready to learn rails i will need to install rubygems and rails to get started. is this correct?

Basically yes. Exactly how to do it depends on your OS. Try googling for install rails and your OS, or perhaps your OS has a wiki page or whatever to help you.

Colin

Rich d wrote:

First install Ruby 1.8.7, then install rubygems, then install rails with: "sudo gem install rails"

i am running windows vista and am working on the download of ruby and rails......so heres what i just did ......I downloaded and installed ruby 1.9.1-p429 then I downloaded and installed rubygems 1.3.7 ......my next question: would it be better to install rails through the command line? or to download it as a standalone package?

i am running windows vista and am working on the download of ruby and rails......so heres what i just did ......I downloaded and installed ruby 1.9.1-p429 then I downloaded and installed rubygems 1.3.7 ......my next question: would it be better to install rails through the command line? or to download it as a standalone package?

you may want to look into using the Ruby Stack provided by BitNami, it simplifies the process when you are just starting out.

Jason

I am looking at the site now...it looks like this might help me a great deal...thank you very much

Hi Rich,

you can learn developping Rails very simply by using our virtual development environment : VirtualRails

this is free, very easy and fast :

1) download and install virtualbox (see www.virtualbox.org, graphic wizard, 5 minutes for total newbie) 2) download and install virtualrails (instructions here : www.virtualrails.org/node/3 , 5 minutes for total newbie) 3) run virtual rails

and then you have on your windows system a totally configured linux with ruby, rails, netbeans for RoR development, MySQL, and several other useful tools all ready to go ! give it a try :slight_smile: all informations at www.virtualrails.org