Installing Ruby on Rails on Leopard

I am completely new to Ruby on Rails, and programming in general, and so I have what imagine are two pretty idiotic questions:

1) I am trying to install all of the components I need to run RoR on OS X Leopard (following instructions at Andrew Nesbitt | Andrew is a software developer, based in Somerset, UK. He spends most of his days programming in Ruby, contributing to open source projects and organising local developer user groups.).

I got up to the part where I type "sudo gem update" into Terminal, and all was well, until I got this error:

I am completely new to Ruby on Rails, and programming in general, and so I have what imagine are two pretty idiotic questions:

1. I am trying to install all of the components I need to run RoR on OS X Leopard (following instructions at

http://teabass.com/super-simple-ruby-on-rails-install-with-macports-for-leopard/#comment-1993 ).

I got up to the part where I type “sudo gem update” into Terminal, and all was well, until I got this error:

Run the following on a terminal:

gem env

to see current gem version. The latest version is 1.0.1. You have to upgrade the Ruby Gems before upgrading the gems on your machine. So, run: sudo gem update --system.

If it hangs then try:

sudo gem install rubygems-update sudo update_rubygems

Any thoughts on how to get past this?

1. Before I hit the above snag, I accidentally selected "fastthread

1.0.1 (mswin32)" instead of “fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)”, during the gem update. How can I now install the correct version of fastthread? (not even sure what that is, but it seems important).

Just do sudo gem uninstall fastthread and then do sudo gem install fastthread.

If I were you, I would follow Hivelogic article on installing the Rails stack.

Thanks! Now a follow-up question:

I ran:

sudo gem update --system

It updated me to 1.0.1. Do I now have to reinstall gems like capistrano and rails?

Unfortunately the Hivelogic article only applies to Tiger -- it hasn't been updated yet for Leopard.

Figured it out:

gem list --local

Shows me the list of gems installed.

Oy vey, to be a newbie.

I tried running a test app, using the following procedure, and got the following error.

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/src    sudo chgrp admin /usr/local/src    sudo chmod -R 775 /usr/local/src    cd /usr/local/src

rails testapp    cd testapp    script/server

Missing the Rails 2.0.2 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.0.2 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in    config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest    version installed.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I do have Rails 2.0.2. installed, because when I type

rails -v

I get this:

Rails 2.0.2

If I comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION, I get the same error, just without "2.0.2."

Probably not a great idea to create your app under /usr/local. I would
recommend /var/www or ~/rails or something like that. You'll find it
much easier to work with and you won't constantly be battling the
system's permissions settings.

Thanks for the tip.

I ultimately resolved the problems above by getting rid of my macport- installed versions, and using the ruby and rails included with Leopard.

Check the rails version in environment.rb file

You can upgrade the gems, sudo gem update. If there is later versions
available, u will get the latest version. Then u can do sudo gem
cleanup to uninstall the older versions

David,

Here is a page you probably want to bookmark for the latest on Ruby on Rails on Mac OS X: http://ruby.macosforge.org/

And especially take a look at the FAQ here: http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/ruby/wiki/FAQ

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. It could have saved you a lot of headaches.

David,

Oh also take a closer look at the gem command. There are some pretty cool things you can do with it like:

gem outdated => will list all the local installed gems that are have new versions available

Then it's just a matter of running: sudo gem install some_gem

The versions of RubyGems > 0.9.5 even take care of the dependencies for you by default.

Another quick tip is that when Rails gets updated you should probably install that gem first then a lot of the dependencies of Rails with also get installed and should shorten the list of gems listed with 'gem outdated'

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

P.S. I've been impressed with the support of Rails from Apple so far. There was a problem some had before RubyGems 0.9.5+ was released, but now that problem no longer exists. There shouldn't be any reason not to use the Apple installed gems and Ruby at this point.