Installing Rails and Ruby Mine

I feel somewhat out of place here amongst all the real developers, but hopefully someone might look kindly upon my pitiful first steps into the world of development. I've five weeks experience having just recently enrolled in a webtechnoloy course, and my previous experience is Nil. I've learned the basics of what classes and methods are, and not much else. However within 8 weeks I'll need to submit an e- commerce site that has been developed on the rails framework. Terrifying!!! Especially considering I'm having trouble even installing rails. I'm using Windows. Our tutor has recommended using Ruby Mine. I have been using Netbeans up to now. I've documented my very humble first steps here http://ruby1ststeps.blogspot.com/ where you can read the project as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you might wish to offer.

yours, L

I feel somewhat out of place here amongst all the real developers, but hopefully someone might look kindly upon my pitiful first steps into the world of development. I've five weeks experience having just recently enrolled in a webtechnoloy course, and my previous experience is Nil.

That should be nil not Nil :slight_smile:

I've learned the basics of what classes and methods are, and not much else. However within 8 weeks I'll need to submit an e- commerce site that has been developed on the rails framework. Terrifying!!! Especially considering I'm having trouble even installing rails. I'm using Windows.

Don't use Windows for Rails development unless you really have no choice. It is much easier on a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu or on a Mac if that is an option.

Our tutor has recommended using Ruby Mine. I have been using Netbeans up to now. I've documented my very humble first steps here http://ruby1ststeps.blogspot.com/ where you can read the project as well.

I advise against using an IDE, just use a decent editor with ruby and syntax highlighting, such as jEdit or Komodo Edit, and work in the console. Others get on ok with Netbeans and Ruby Mine however.

Work through the free online guide railstutorial.org. Then of course the problem will be making your project not look too much like the tutorial. :slight_smile:

Colin

There is nothing wrong with using an IDE. Just as there is nothing wrong with using an editor. The tool you use in this case is based on preference and what you are most comfortable with. Your editor/IDE is just like a screw driver. If you like using Snap-on screw drivers and someone else likes using Craftsman you should not switch over just because they like it. There should be a value to you switching tools. Since you are just starting out you will not see the subtle differences and/or values of each so they don’t matter. Use what you are comfortable with.

I’ve looked at your blog and the error you are getting with Ruby Mine. The error is that Ruby Mine is looking for you to have the gem test-unit installed on your system. Run gem install test-unit on your machine and that should fix your issue.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any other problems in learning. You’ve started off on the right foot by getting formal education that can be easily supplemented and enhanced by this group’s experience. If this is the career for you then you have greatly boosted your chances of success by getting the proper fundamentals in place.

B.

Sorry for the delayed response. http://rubykoans.com/ This will help you for learning Ruby language by your self. I have learned most of Ruby through this. I think you should first go through Getting Started with Rails — Ruby on Rails Guides and work out the example blog application they have illustrated. This will help you to understand the Rails concepts.

Thanks. KK