INSTALLATION PROBLEM ON FEDORA 8

hi,

am newbie to ruby on rails in linux,am trying to setup ruby on rails environment on fedora 8. i started by executing this command

yum -y install ruby ruby-devel ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-rdoc ruby-ri rubygems

this is the result that i got

Setting up Install Process Parsing package install arguments No package ruby available. No package ruby-devel available. No package ruby-irb available. No package ruby-libs available. No package ruby-rdoc available. No package ruby-ri available. No package rubygems available. Nothing to do

i do not know why am getting this, what do i do to get rid of this so that i can finish these installation, your help please

hi,

am newbie to ruby on rails in linux,am trying to setup ruby on rails environment on fedora 8. i started by executing this command

yum -y install ruby ruby-devel ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-rdoc ruby-ri rubygems

this is the result that i got

Setting up Install Process Parsing package install arguments No package ruby available. No package ruby-devel available. No package ruby-irb available. No package ruby-libs available. No package ruby-rdoc available. No package ruby-ri available. No package rubygems available. Nothing to do

i do not know why am getting this, what do i do to get rid of this so that i can finish these installation, your help please

Craig White wrote:

what is output of commands (as root)...

rpm -qa|grep ruby yum repolist

rpm -qa|grep ruby does not give anything just another prompt i.e

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa|grep ruby [root@localhost ~]#

and yum repolist gives the folowing

[root@localhost ~]# yum repolist repo id repo name status InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled

what next please?

thanks craig

Craig White wrote: > > what is output of commands (as root)... > > rpm -qa|grep ruby > yum repolist > >

rpm -qa|grep ruby does not give anything just another prompt i.e

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa|grep ruby [root@localhost ~]#

and yum repolist gives the folowing

[root@localhost ~]# yum repolist repo id repo name status InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled

what next please?

Craig White wrote:

Craig White wrote: >> >> what next please? > ---- > that doesn't look right at all. > > what is output of 'rpm -qa|grep fedora-release' > (I'm looking to see if you have fedora-release and fedora-release-notes > packages installed) >

'rpm -qa|grep fedora-release' gives the following

fedora-release-notes-8.0.0-3 fedora-release-8-3

any suggestion please?

See below...you need to edit those files to 'enable' fedora and updates

Craig

Craig White wrote:

See below...you need to edit those files to 'enable' fedora and updates

Craig

>> any suggestion please? [fedora] name=Fedora 8 - i386 failovermethod=priority #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/ mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386 enabled = 0

--- change to enabled = 1 ---

gpgcheck=1 gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora enabled = 0

--- change to enabled = 1

thanks craig for your valuable contribution.

all the best

adolf