inserting into database problem

Hi,

I have this problem I have been working on ours and can't find the proper solution

i have two tables     User_Info : columns {:id, :name, :address}

Access_Info : columsn {:id, :username, :password, :user_info_fkey, :access_type}

In my model User_Info when I had I do something like this

@user= User_Info.new(params[:user]) @access = Access_Info.new(params[:access])

then i do a transaction to see if one save fails delete everything that was created.

my problem is with Access_Info.new I want to add manually more parameters values. first I need to get the id from @user and give it to access_info and I also want to manually set the value of :access_type

i did something like this

@user= User_Info.new(param[:user]) params[:access].merge= ( {:user_info_fkey => params[:user][:id] } ) @access = Access_Info.new(param[:access])

but it does not seem to work.... which is annoying...

also just another quick questions when using save is there a way to say to insert on columns x,y,z ?? because I have a column that uses NOW()+0 and I don't want ruby to write null or something else

thank you

Hi,

I have this problem I have been working on ours and can’t find the

proper solution

i have two tables

User_Info : columns {:id, :name, :address}

Access_Info : columsn {:id, :username, :password, :user_info_fkey,

:access_type}

In my model

User_Info

when I had I do something like this

@user= User_Info.new(params[:user])

@access = Access_Info.new(params[:access])

then i do a transaction to see if one save fails delete everything that

was created.

my problem is with Access_Info.new I want to add manually more

parameters values. first I need to get the id from @user and give it to

access_info and I also want to manually set the value of :access_type

I know it is not answering the question, but if you are trying to get the user id into the access record then do it by using an association. UserInfo has_one :access_info AccessInfo belongs_to :user_info

Let Rails do the hard work for you. Also I would advise sticking to the Rails conventions if you can, don’t have underscores in the model names, they will just cause confusion. In fact I would suggest the models could be User and Access.

To set the value of access_type just do @access.access_type = whatever (Again should it just be @access.type ?)

Colin

i did something like this

@user= User_Info.new(param[:user])

params[:access].merge= ( {:user_info_fkey => params[:user][:id] } )

@access = Access_Info.new(param[:access])

but it does not seem to work… which is annoying…

also just another quick questions

when using save is there a way to say to insert on columns x,y,z ??

because I have a column that uses NOW()+0 and I don’t want ruby to write

null or something else

Don’t understand this question.

Can I suggest you do some reading up on the basics of Rails to get you going? The rails guides are very good (http://guides.rubyonrails.org/) as are the railscasts (http://railscasts.com/), though I would suggest starting with the guides. There are also a number of books, I found Agile Web Development With Rails 3rd edition (earlier editions will not be correct for latest Rails) very good.

In addition stick around here and for any posts that you understand the question, follow the replies and try to understand them. You will learn a tremendous amount over a period. In particular you will keep find yourself saying “Wow I didn’t know you could do that”.