Implementing search

I am a newbie and have created a small blog-like app. Im have tried to implement the saerch function following this tutorial: http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1691

Everything seems to work when the searchphase is empty (it finds the 454 rows) but as soon as I start typing it returns nothing. Here is the controller:

def live_search

@phrase = request.raw_post || request.query_string     a1 = "%"     a2 = "%"     @searchphrase = a1 + @phrase + a2     @results = Funktioner.find(:all, :conditions => [ "Description LIKE ?", @searchphrase])

@number_match = @results.length

render(:layout => false) end

The Description-column is text rich and contains the word ledelse, but when searched it returns: 'ledelse=' not found!

One of the puzzels is where the equal sign comes from. It appears also in the logging og the mysql queries.

Can you help me - anyone?

arbirk wrote:

I am a newbie and have created a small blog-like app. Im have tried to implement the saerch function following this tutorial: http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1691

Everything seems to work when the searchphase is empty (it finds the 454 rows) but as soon as I start typing it returns nothing. Here is the controller:

def live_search

@phrase = request.raw_post || request.query_string     a1 = "%"     a2 = "%"     @searchphrase = a1 + @phrase + a2     @results = Funktioner.find(:all, :conditions => [ "Description LIKE ?", @searchphrase])

@number_match = @results.length

render(:layout => false) end

The Description-column is text rich and contains the word ledelse, but when searched it returns: 'ledelse=' not found!

One of the puzzels is where the equal sign comes from. It appears also in the logging og the mysql queries.

Can you help me - anyone?

I think your problem is that later Prototypes always try to encode a key=value query string, which doesn't work with request.raw_post.

So add the option

:with => 'phrase'

to your observe_field options, and in your controller have

@phrase = params[:phrase]

It worked like a charm!

Thanks to both of you for your quick response

Best, David