Ideas why this rake task isn't saving one of my models?

Newbie here working on an application that has a "Match" model and each Match can have some "Playergame" models. The rails apps is actually working, but I needed to now import some initial data from a csv file, so I built a rake task to handle the import.

The problem is that for some reason I can't seem to get "Match" to save. It doesn't throw any errors, but after I run it and I go to the ruby console and do Match.find(:all) it returns empty. The rake task can save Playergames just find and I'll see them if I do Playergame.find(:all)

In the below script below I have the Playergame additions commented out because I simply wanted to see if I can get a Match to save alone (which it doesn't)

Any help appreciated:

#striped down script

task(:cvsimport => :environment) do

FasterCSV.foreach("#{RAILS_ROOT}/hockey.csv") do |row|

rick_game = Playergame.new       steve_game = Playergame.new       match = Match.new

#set a bunch of fields reading over the row       #left out for brevity

#match.playergames << rick_game       #match.playergames << steve_game

#rick_game.save #this will save a game       #steve_game.save #this will save a game

#why is match not be saving???       match.save   end

#models...

class Match < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :playergames, :dependent => :destroy   accepts_nested_attributes_for :playergames end

class Playergame < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :match, :foreign_key => "match_id" end

I'm not sure this is what is causing your problem, but according to your models, a Match has_many Playergames, which would mean that each Playergame has a match_id, correct? However, in your script, you are saving the Playergames before the Match, meaning a match_id has not yet been created. When you do Playergame.find(:all), I'm assuming they show match_id=nil. Anyway, I'd at least try changing your script to save Match before Playergames, and see if you're still having problems...

#match.playergames << rick_game       #match.playergames << steve_game

match.save

#rick_game.save #this will save a game       #steve_game.save #this will save a game

I'm not sure this is what is causing your problem, but according to your models, a Match has_many Playergames, which would mean that each Playergame has a match_id, correct? However, in your script, you are saving the Playergames before the Match, meaning a match_id has not yet been created. When you do Playergame.find(:all), I'm assuming they show match_id=nil. Anyway, I'd at least try changing your script to save Match before Playergames, and see if you're still having problems...

\#match\.playergames &lt;&lt; rick\_game
 \#match\.playergames &lt;&lt; steve\_game

match\.save

\#rick\_game\.save  \#this will save a game
 \#steve\_game\.save  \#this will save a game

Good point, about saving the games first, but I'm curious, what the heck is going on that I can't seem to get match to save even with those game save lines commented out (as above.) I'm just trying to get a Match to save.

If I call match.save and it doesn't save shouldn't the script throw an error? I guess that's why I'm a little stumped since the script seems to fun just fine.

When I use the rails app UI to add match it seems to save just fine as you can see by a quick call in the console:

Match.find(:all)

=> [#<Match id: 1, match_date: "2009-07-12 00:00:00", overtime: false, shootout: false, linechanges: true, period_length: 20, game_version: nil, notes: nil>]

I'm sure this is going to turn out to be something really stupid, so I'm ready for the 'duh' moment to hit me:)

Good point, about saving the games first, but I'm curious, what the heck is going on that I can't seem to get match to save even with those game save lines commented out (as above.) I'm just trying to get a Match to save.

If I call match.save and it doesn't save shouldn't the script throw an error? I guess that's why I'm a little stumped since the script seems to fun just fine.

save just returns true/false. save! throws an error

One way of getting really confusing results is accidentally overwriting core active record methods (though from what you have shown so far you haven't)

Other than that, there's always stepping through it with the debugger until you understand what's up.

Fred

Ah thanks Frederick. I'll start using save!

And with that, I figured it out. I had a validates_presence_of condition that wasn't getting met. Yea a duh moment. I just figured something like would have thrown an error if there was an issue in my validate conditions. I'm glad I know about save! now. thanks.