ID value after AR.save ?

Rails 3 / MySQL

I've never used autoinc (always provided my own random IDs), but now I have to adapt to a legacy database using autoinc IDs.

Assuming the use of an autoinc ID field, I've read that after an ActiveRecord model is saved for the first time, the ID value is known to the model right away.

If not true, how could I or Rails possibly know how to create related records w/o knowing the foreign key value?

If it is true, I am finding that to not be the case using a real simple code sample like this.

new_user = PrivilegedUser.new   new_user.first_name = params[:first_name]   new_user.last_name = params[:last_name]   new_user.login_email = params[:login_email]   new_user.pswd1 = params[:pswd1]   new_user.pswd2 = params[:pswd2]

p new_user # ID is nil as expected

action_error = new_user.save

p new_user # ID is shown as 0, but MySQL says it is not 0

The model is saved, so it is not failing validations. A record is added to MySQL and the ID column is int(11) AUTOINC and it does contain the proper next value, not zero.

Something fishy going on, and I'm not sure where to start.

Any ideas what to investigate?

-- gw

Argh and double <sigh> -- nevermind, as soon as I submitted, I thought of one more thing which turned out to be the problem.

-- gw